Keeping car electronics alive while changing battery - homebrew approach?

Page 3 of 3

Sounds like a niche market. CarMemKiller! ;)
nb

Yeah, then pay the dealer to hook up their proprietary programmer to reprogram all your car's options.

Then it doesn't sound much like an option.
You'll have to excuse this ol' geezer. I'm from a era when the car did what I want it to do, not the other way around.
nb

You cain't even adjust the idle on yer car anymore. goodgawd....
And, fwiu, more and more parts are chip-coded, so fewer and fewer parts can be installed without installing the correct fukn drivers'n'shit....
Bend over, sheeple, spread, and then walk backwards.....
--
EA

> nb

I'd rather have the drivability and efficiency of EFI. I don't ever want to go back to the days when driving a flyweight deathtrap like a VW bug mean losing speed on hills, having a 0-60 of 35 seconds, and a top fuel economy of <22mpg. Get something with the performance of today's ford focus, and you'd be talking fuel economy around 15mph. Fuck that. Plus cars that had to have the points adjusted every 15K miles...
AZ Nomad wrote:

Hey, the Beetle was a very nice 1938 car! Of course, 40+ years later when they quit making it in Brazil or Mexico or wherever, not so much. But its genes live on in the rear-engine Porsches, and GM even cloned the VW/Porsche design for a few years as the Corvair. (Still pissed at Nader for killing that- the 3rd generation one could have been fantastic.)
--
aem sends...

Rent cars for all your transportation. Always torch them after use.
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 20:02:11 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

The Rayovac I examined had 4 F cells wired together.
BTW, considering the letters, what about A? I know of AA, AAA, and AAAA(used in some 9v batteries) but no A.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

re: "cigarette lighter socket (does this car even have one of those???)"
They don't call them "cigarette lighter sockets" anymore.
They're called "Automotive Power Ports" or some variation of that.
Many vehicles have multiple "ports" such as additional ones in the trunk or hatchback or backseat to power portable DVD players, cell phone chargers, etc.
I've heard of using a battery jumper pack. Put that on the front floor, and plug in a double ended lighter plug cord. Maybe you or a friend has a jumper pack with a "charge the pack from your lighter socket" cord.
The DC 13 volts should work, also.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Any auto parts store, and probably even the auto section of Walmart sell an inexpensive device that plugs into the cigarette lighter and is powerd by 9 volt batteries for just this purpose. Not hard to find at all.

== Your best bet would be to phone a dealership for the make and year of car, talk to the service manager and get some FREE advice. ==