Keeping car electronics alive while changing battery - homebrew approach?

If there is an under hood light, like that caddy has, a 9v battery would not do diddly. Jumper cables to another car seemed the fastest/easiest thing to do since they were already in my trunk.

Reply to
gfretwell

That must explain why every auto parts store in creation sells a device for this purpose that uses 9 volt batteries.

Reply to
JohnnyD

Most recent cars don't call it a cigarette lighter any more, they call it a 'power outlet', and it has a little flipper cover over it. Some switch, some don't. Usual convention is a picture of a battery for non-switched, and a picture of a key for switched. A lot of cars don't even have one. Other alternative is to go to Harbor Freight, and buy some big alligator clips and some wire, and just make it so you can clip it on the next connector and available ground point downstream from the battery.

Reply to
aemeijers

Eat a lot of beans. Then make big farts into the engine.

Reply to
Stepfann King

What are they?

Reply to
Tony

My truck and car each have two power outlets. One of the ones in my truck is a "cigar lighter" and one is an aux power outlet. IIRC, one is switched, but I don't remember which one. Neither of the outlets in the car is switched.

Reply to
krw

That depends on what the voltage requirement of the Non-Volatile RAM. Lot's of auto computers run partially on regulated 5 volts powered by the 12vdc battery. If so, the 9vdc would work just fine. Not to mention that most non-volatile ram doesn't need full rated working voltage to hold memory. I've seen lots of 5VDC ram that only need 2.5 to 3 volts to hold the memory.

Reply to
Tony

Hi, Firmware does not need power to keep the contents. Other learned parameters can e relearned after battery is reconnected. Couple fill up and some usual driving will be all that needed.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

And how long does it take to pull the bulb out of that underhood light?

Reply to
aemeijers

VERY wrong on modern cars.

Reply to
salty
[snip]

IIRC, they're 4 F cells (an F cell is as big around as a D cell, but about 40% taller). They should allow a higher discharge rate. There are also 12V lantern batteries (8 F cells).

BTW, I have no idea what happened to E.

Reply to
Gary H

Having viewed the idiot piece on Youtube "32 AA cells" in a lantern battery. I took apart a couple lantern batteries. The Rayovac carbon had four D-like cells, and the Duracell had literally four D cells (just like the D cells you'd buy in the stores). With a cardboard spacer, and contacts.

Supposedly Energizer alkalines contain the F cells, not Duracell. I havn't opened one of them. Also no clue what happened to B, or E cells.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Radios don't use tubes anymore so no need for 'B' batteries to power their plate circuits (B+).

Reply to
krw

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
Jim Yanik

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

They're still sold. Everready 22.5 and 45 volt B batteries. Some analog meters still use 22.5v B batteries for their ohms function.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

A simple 9 volt radio battery is all that is required for the memory keep alive. Connect one to a cig ligther plug, with a diode to keep the 12 volts from hitting the 9 volt battery, plug it into the lighter socket, close the door, and change the battery. 7 volts is more than enough to maintain the memory.

Reply to
clare

errrrr. . . don't most Dell products still use vacuum tubes?

Reply to
Nonny

With all the new computer/electronics surveillance crap in cars, these days, why would you want to keep memory alive. Hell, I'd think unhooking the battery for a day about once a week would be more in order. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Just because they suck doesn't mean there is a tube around the vacuum.

Reply to
krw

I imagine the spy circuits use flash memory.

Reply to
gfretwell