Keeping a toddler out of drawers and cabinets

Page 4 of 4

Not enough! A few more & I'll really let the old goat have it.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Jimbo wrote:

The "old goat" you refer to is in his early 60's, and will leave you panting like a dog in heat on the racket ball court. You are entirely rude and also entirely ill-informed.

βœ–

Baaaaaahhhhh, you old goat. Go have someone wipe the slobber of your chin.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Deleted unnecessarily nasty responses

We did a little investigating for our own home, back when we became grandparents, and there's not a lot out there. You probably already know that. Everyone seems to sell the door-mounted nylon restraints that screw to the inside of the doors. You open the doors a couple inches, then depress the nylon arm to open them the rest of the way. We didn't mind the extra couple holes in the door, so I went that route.
You might consider trying one and using the screw holding the door knob in place to hold the base to the door. I've not tried that, but it might work, even if you have to make your own base extension for the nylon base. You could mount the factory unit to 1/8" plywood using flat head machine screws and nuts, then drill the plywood and insert the knob screw with a washer on it, through the plywood.
Nonny
--
On most days,
it’s just not worth
Jimbo wrote:

Baaaaaahhhhh, you young goat.
I think you meant to say "wipe the slobber off your chin", but not entirely sure.
If that is what you intended to say, I'll wipe the slobber off my chin if you'll wipe the splooge off of yours........
Add pictures here
βœ–
ktos wrote:

Actually, it sounds like too little brains. His solution to reinforcing a cabinet latch is to sterilize people. A sheer touch of genius at work here.

βœ–
Jimbo wrote:

Jimbo, Here's a novel concept. Go fuck yourself.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Ya lazy old fart, can't control the grandkids, and now you think you're gonna control Usenet. LOL... You're more senile than what you first came across.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Smarty wrote:

     Nobody else said it, so I will- they used to sell little battery-powered alarms for applications like this. Smaller than a smoke detector, but using a similar horn, linked to a photocell that tripped the alarm five seconds after light hit it- hopefully enough time for a grown-up to turn it off when they were in the drawer or cabinet. I haven't looked lately- no idea if anyone still offers them. Seems like an obvious market niche.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
βœ–
aemeijers wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion. I took the prior suggestion offered to use magnetic latches, which are activated using a magnet "key" carried by the adult. These are quite ingenious, relatively inexpensive, and serve the purpose especially well. The Amazon and other user reviews are extremely complimentary, and confirm that the latches not only work very well but are truly 'child-proof' while avoiding any drilling or cabinet damage.
My thanks once again to Jim ('JimmyDahGeek') for the recommendation he offered on Saturday.

βœ–

the drilling is on the INSIDE and thus does not harm the cabinets. Or maybe you could glue on the latches,using some modern glue,like construction adhesive.Or glue on some strong magnets and metal plates.

maybe a trip to the nearest children's store to see what's currently available,or DAGS.

Kinda costly to put them on every cabinet door and drawer.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Don't need them on every door and drawer, just the dangerous/expensive ones. (poisons, booze, sharp things, fragile heirlooms, etc.) If the kid gets in the linen cabinet, just make them help fold them all up again. That'll teach them.
Last I saw the things, they were only 2-3 bucks apiece. I bet if all the HF regulars on here wrote to them and asked, they would have their China OEMs run off a batch in a few weeks.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
βœ–

He's probably talking about little toddlers. They're the ones for which you child-proof drawers and cabinets.

kids can pull out a drawer and have it fall on their head. A sharp item could cut or puncture them.
Oh,and don't forget the TV stand and bookcases,kids are pulling them down and getting killed by them. there are straps you can attach to the wall to keep them from toppling if a kid pulls on them.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Duct tape bound hands and feet should solve the problem.

βœ–
Smarty wrote:

When my brother became a father, his climbing gear moved into this role. He'd run his web loops through the handles and fasten them with carabiners.
Add pictures here
βœ–