Keeping a toddler out of drawers and cabinets

Or maybe child sized handcuffs (With hands behind their backs.)

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

"Roy" wrote

If that does not work, a BB gun or well aimed slingshot will do. I've know people to keep cats out of the yard that way, should work on kids out of cabinets.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

clipped

Wouldn't work in my house...my (now grown) children used the drawers in the lower cabinets as a ladder.

Reply to
norminn

There are plenty of childproof gagets for cabinet doors that are mounted on the inside of the cabinet and will leave no holes or damage that you can see, unless you stick your head inside the cabinet. Just google childproof cabinets and you will probably get a few thousand hits.

Reply to
Tony

Nappy-haired dogs?

Reply to
krw

Well, we also used a bicycle lock-looking widgets through the door handles that took more finger strength to open than a kid can muster.

Reply to
krw

Useless. My son went through those without a minute's hesitation.

Reply to
krw

Consider putting a baby gate on the kitchen entrance.

Reply to
Larry W

buy a large metal cabinet with locking doors, put all the real hazardous stuff in this cabinet keep it locked at all times. have ba delayed alarm on it with reset switch on very top of cabinet, with one key lock and one combination lock...

this should slow the kid down some:)

Reply to
hallerb

It had better have Concertina wire looped over the top.

Reply to
krw

On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 14:15:34 -0700 (PDT), Roy wrote Re Re: Keeping a toddler out of drawers and cabinets:

Bingo! The best solution is so simple.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

My youngest girl (now 19) was a monkey too. Once, while my wife was in the shower, she climbed up onto the counter and playfully dropped ALL the stemware onto the floor, just to watch each glass disintegrate.

We found a fix though: a "play penitentiary". We turned a play pen upside down over her, while my wife showered.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

They worked for a while. Then my kids figured out how to get into them. They were only about 3 or 4 at the time.

Reply to
RobertPatrick

I enjoyed the age that my children were grown, no longer feared punishment and told me some of what they got away with. I still tell one daughter (age 39) that I'm going to check her high school file to see how many excuses for absences have my signature and how many were forged...but now she has a teenager of her own, so justice has been served :o)

One chiller that still scares me was when she and girlfriend, both about

12, rode mopeds about 100 mi. on the interstate.

My brother and I once built a campfire in the woods that got out of hand. We started to run away but went back and beat it out with our new jackets. We were scared out of our minds and in leaving the woods saw a whole line of fire trucks parked in the lot...holy god! Our dad's a firefighter, he'll find out and WE ARE DEAD. Oooooohhh...it's only Fire Prevention Day and they're just having a little show. Had to lie about losing our jackets, and I'm sure my mom could smell smoke on us, but we lived. :o)

Reply to
norminn

I remember a TV news program that hid a pistol in a house and the kids found it in no time. It's funny that a lot of the children I know of parents who own guns tell me that they don't touch guns because it makes their butt hurt.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

So let's not have anymore of this "I don't want to drill/permanently attach anything to my new solid wood kitchen cabinets" crap...

You want some advice on this, take some pictures of your kitchen cabinets showing the face frame detail as well as the doors and whatever knobs or pulls you have installed and then maybe we could offer you some actual advice... Post those pictures somewhere on the internet and reply here with links to them...

OK ??

We all know that you understand what your cabinets look like, its just that most people aren't as good at describing things as they think they are and my magical crystal ball which magically lets me see what you are talking about in your kitchen from thousands of miles away over the internet is in the shop for magical repairs at the moment...

Otherwise really, stop wasting people's time and keep the lil tot in a room with a closed door when you can't be fully attentive to what they are doing...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

A better plan is to take kids to a shooting range as soon as they're able to hold a .22. Teach them respect for the weapon and how to use it properly. Repeat often and they won't find a gun so "interesting", should they happen across one.

Reply to
krw

The ones we had took quite a bit of finger strength to open. If that doesn't work bicycle locks are available. Of course maybe they'll pick it but that might be a valuable skill for them down the road. ;-)

Reply to
krw

All children should be taught about firearms anyway. It would prevent a great number of tragedies. They should know to not ever play with a real firearm and to call an adult if they find a gun. It's interesting that the government schools are pounding all sorts of safety information into the little heads of school children but they won't teach basic gun safety.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

To everyone (bit Evan), my sincere thanks for your constructive ideas and helpful suggestions. I have further researched the magnetic latches which were suggested, and they seem like a very viable alternative, and one which I intend to implement here after I have purchased and tried a couple in strategic places with my 20 month old grand-daughter.

To Evan, I can only say that your cranky, non-responsive reply indicates you have a lot more free time than you have imagination or willingness to help. I don't in any way whatsoever think that a photo of a drawer or cabinet is slightly neccesary to solve this tremendously complex problem I have presented.

To Evan, I will also point out that in helping other people on this forum, I have taken the initiative to actually photograph specific plumbing assistance for Kohler faucets and provided it to someone seeking help, since in THAT situation a photo did indeed convey at least a 1000 words. Your reply had nothing to offer, and you waste my time as well as your own by replying in this manner on this or any other forum or newsgroup.

Thanks once again to everybody else for your constructive assistance.

Reply to
Smarty