Keeping a toddler out of drawers and cabinets

Page 1 of 4

As grandparents, my wife and I do frequent toddler babysitting.
The kitchen cabinets, drawers, and other compartments are very tempting for our grand-daughter to investigate. We are looking for a way to keep this closed and inaccessible to a young child, while still allowing adults to easily open and close the doors and drawers.
Unlike 30 years ago when our own children were toddlers, we now have very high quality custom cabinetry and drawers, and do NOT want to drill or attach any fasteners which deface or damage the cabinets / doors. The fasteners were used 30 years ago required drilling holes into both the doors and the cabinets in order to attach the plastic latches. This is NOT an option for our current cabinets.
Does anybody know of any device or fastener or method which provides a secure and reliable latch to children, easy access to adults, and easy removal without leaving any permanent damage to the custom cabinetry?
Thanks in advance for your assistance and suggestions.
On 07/03/2010 05:03 PM, Smarty wrote:

you could use double-sided tape; a child young enough not to be trusted with the cleaning supplies likely doesn't have the strength to rip it off. I'd test somewhere inconspicuous first to make sure you can remove same without damage before applying.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

== My mother used a method called "spank de arse"...that seemed to train the toddlers to keep out of the drawers and doors. Somehow in this modern age that method is frowned upon. ==

=My mother used a method called "spank de arse"...that seemed to train the toddlers to keep out of the drawers and doors. Somehow in this modern age that method is frowned upon. = My first daughter was way too smart to be foiled by a mere cabinet latch. She was probably also too smart to drink Drano or bleach but just in case we took advantage of her brain and taught her not to get into the cabinets and if she did not to drink the horrible stuff in there. Meanwhile we moved anything lethal, just in case. But there's no guarantee they won't find it (especially boys) so we had to fall back on teaching. She pretty much taught daughter #2 not to mess with the bad stuff. In our case "spank de arse" was not necessary, but I never ruled it out. I also believe that leaving toddlers unsupervised is a disaster waiting to happen.

If that does not work, a BB gun or well aimed slingshot will do. I've know people to keep cats out of the yard that way, should work on kids out of cabinets.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Excellent idea, Ed. You show an exceptional degree of good judgement and insight. You would make a superb grandfather.
wrote

I do have six mostly well behave grandchildren already. Ya just have to keep them in range.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Looks like I need to remind you Ed that this is, exactly as you stated, an unmoderated newsgroup, and thus can be a sewer for perverse ideas as well as foul language.
To your perverse ideas such as the ones you offer above, I repeat, loudly:
FUCK YOU!

Thank you. Be sure to show your wife your eloquent words; she'll be impressed. You sure know how to charm people. You can even repeat those words of endearment when you give the grandkids a hug. Your influence on them is important.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My pleasure!
I must apologize for suggesting the use of a BB gun to control the toddlers. I was wrong. Sorry if I offended anyone.
Given the technology of the day, a Taser would be a better suggestion.

Actually, in this case, Tasing the grandparent would have a better result.
wrote Re Re: Keeping a toddler out of drawers and cabinets:

Bingo! The best solution is so simple.

Since you have to complain about "four" I'll complain about your grammar. The word is "felt". Now you're the big dope!
I believe this is the kind my brother uses to keep his dog out of his. http://www.mypreciouskid.com/cabinet-lock.html
Good Luck,
Jim

Put the poison in the uppers and work on teaching the kid to stay out of the lowers.
On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 21:03:51 +0000, Smarty wrote:

Velcro tape?

Velcro sounds like something good to use. When you hear the ripping sound, then go "spank de arse".

move dangerous stuff to high inaccesible cabinents with mr yuk on everything. and keep them OUT of dangerous rooms like kitchens, think of child gates
On 7/3/2010 4:23 PM, Chief Two Eagles wrote:

I wanted to design a line of clothing for small children called "Stayput". It would have Velcro sewn into the back of the clothing and come with accessory wall plates covered with Velcro to be attached to various locations about a home. The rug-rat could be stuck to the wall for various activities such as putting on their shoes, combing their hair or washing their cute little faces.
TDD