Keep that popcorn ceiling & make it look lovely

I had years of flat painted popcorn ceilings that got dirty and were impossible to clean or even dust without it dropping all over the floors. When I bought a home built in the 60's - I had new popcorn installed in the large kitchen when the cabinets were removed. Then ALL the ceilings in the house were double coated with excellent white semi-gloss latex ---wash it to your hearts content if you so choose... sweep it, vacuum it and it never comes down on you or the furniture. It also takes a new coat of paint very quickly.
The last few years I've chosen to paint the ceiling the same color as the walls (except the red one). Change is good! Experiment - it's just paint !
On Friday, August 16, 2013 9:44:02 PM UTC-4, J E Lawless wrote:

How exactly do you wash a popcorn ceiling?
. sweep it, vacuum it

On 8/16/2013 9:22 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Very carefully!

Cart, horse. How do you paint it?
--

dadiOH
replying to dadiOH , JE (Elaine) Lawless wrote:

No matter if the popcorn is old or new - it can be painted and most people use cheap flat white -- WRONG. Paint it with good quality (Washable) semi-gloss acrylic, preferably 2 coats. Some popcorn will fall if it's new - just paint with a roller. New construction, it would be easier to spray paint - your choice. Paint it like you would a wall!

Never semi-gloss on my ceilings (nor on my walls). I use semi-gloss on trim; flat for walls and ceilings.
We had popcorn in the living room when we moved in. Luckily, it was applied over several coats of old paint, and the popcorn itself had never been painted (although some genius added glitter). A little action with a garden sprayer of water and a plastic putty knife, followed by washing, and finally flat white ceiling paint (Sherwin-Williams Superpaint, IIRC), and my cove-ceiling living room looks just as it should.
Cindy Hamilton

replying to snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net , JE (Elaine) Lawless wrote:

If you have ever had stains from food or drink or dirty grease -- any of it can be cleaned with hot/warn soapy water just like the the wall cleaning for dirty hand prints. Get a ladder and pail and rags.Vacuum cob webs or any dirt with a long hose and wands...just like the floor! When painted with a good semi gloss acrylic paint - NO pop corn falls while cleaning.