Keep light switch ON! All the time?

A "light switch" in a guest bedroom controls my attic fan.

The fan operates on a thermostat. So, it only goes on in the warmer months. However, I am getting tired of guests continually flipping it on and off.

So, I thought, what about putting a blank wall plate there. But, how do I "fix" the wires so the current will be on all the time? Or, is that a no-no (don't know why it would be, but...). tim

Reply to
tim birr

Install a tamper proof light switch. You won't find them in Wal Mart, but an electrical supply house will have them. While you can eliminate the switch, it is not wise to do so in casa you want to turn the fan off.

Ed Pawlowski

Pull out the switch, disconnect the two wires and wire nut them together. If there is a bare ground wire attached to the switch, just disconnect it and push it into the box

Reply to
RBM

+1 -- You don't want to be looking for a screwdriver when you pinpoint the smoke you smell to that attic fan. Keep the key on your key chain or hanging out of sight but near that switch.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

tim birr wrote in news:9ab8a536-c1e9-4782-90cc-8686f04c3033 @f2g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:

Doug Miller

This is simpler

?cm_mmc=Mercent-_-Googlepla-_-Cleaning%20Facility_Supplies-_-910932

Reply to
Attila.Iskander

Remove switch. Put the two wires together with a wire nut. Install blank plate.

Remit $47.50 for advice.

.

The fan operates on a thermostat. So, it only goes on in the warmer months. However, I am getting tired of guests continually flipping it on and off.

So, I thought, what about putting a blank wall plate there. But, how do I "fix" the wires so the current will be on all the time? Or, is that a no-no (don't know why it would be, but...). tim

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Here in NJ I've seen a simple plastic gizmo that goes over top the switch and switch plate, more like a strap. Cost about $1. You could look for one of those at a hardware store.

Alternatively, as others have said, removing the switch and wire nutting the wires together together and using a blank cover is fine.

Reply to
trader4

Not very sophisticated but I just taped over a switch to keep on all the time. Just a strip of regular adhesive tape.

Reply to
Frank

Removing the switch is not a good idea. What will you do if you need to work on that fan?..yrp, go to the breaker box and try to find the unlabled breaker.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

The key switch idea sounded good. In case the attic fan over heats, etc. But what's the odds of that?

.

Here in NJ I've seen a simple plastic gizmo that goes over top the switch and switch plate, more like a strap. Cost about $1. You could look for one of those at a hardware store.

Alternatively, as others have said, removing the switch and wire nutting the wires together together and using a blank cover is fine.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I hear you. So many people are totally clueless. Even with a sign, they will still feel compelled to flip the switch.

The wire nut and blank plate sounds good, to me.

Christ> The fan operates on a thermostat. So, it only goes on in the warmer

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Why don't you just INFORM your guests of the switches function and TELL the= m to keep their paws off of it? Tape the damned thing with electrical tape = about six different ways and post a sign as well. If those procedures fail = then buy one of those secure "lockable" switches that they use in public bu= ildings to keep unauthorized people from jacking up the heat or whatever. I= f that fails then put your guests in YOUR bedroom and YOU move into the gue= st room.

Reply to
Roy

Works even better with a "DO NOT TOUCH" sign

Reply to
Attila.Iskander

They have thermal protection in the fan. Plus a lot of them are just wired in direct, no switch. And besides the odds of the fan over heating to the point that it;s a fire hazard, you also have to factor in the odds of someone being there, detecting it to turn off the switch, etc. The typical fan is running up in the attic and if it was going to cause a fire, I doubt the switch would make any difference, in most cases.

Reply to
trader4

While I agree that the odds are slim-- I'd feel pretty stupid if I

*had* a switch and had just disabled it a week before it would have come in real handy.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

You're kidding right? God, I hope so.

Do you work on light fixtures after simply turning off the light switch?

Good grief. Stop offering dangerous advice.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

6f04c3033

That site does not work

Reply to
hrhofmann

"hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net" wrote in news:f5fe6e49-5b22-4378-a716- snipped-for-privacy@k6g2000vbz.googlegroups.com:

What I posted works just fine. If you were using a real newsreader, instead of Google's broken interface, it would work for you too. View my post again, but this time, click the "more options" link, then click "Show original" to see what I actually posted instead of what Google mangled it into.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I've found a piece of tape and perhaps a post-it note to work well for similar situations.

Reply to
Larry W