Katrina question

Page 1 of 5
I have a simple question just my observation. You see all the destruction the confusion witch is to be expected in a disaster this size. The question are flying, the blame is being pointed. We are seeing are government talking, predicting telling what an impact it all is ( there's a no brainier)Well hear is my question The same as everyone else's Why is the aid and help taking so long? Why don't they just ask the oil Co. to help ? They are fast the wasted no time raising oil prices. Fox News "State Attorney General Bill Lockyer on Friday launched a probe into possible price gouging by gas and oil companies following Hurricane Katrina." Well I'll sleep better now, somebody's on it.
Sacramento Dave wrote:

If you really think this administration will ask the oil cartel to pay for anything, I have great deals on beach front properties you would love to own...
Remember, these are the same people who cut gov funding for flood prevention programs in Alabama and somewhere else, from what I hear.
Of course this was after they cut taxes. I got a $300 refund years ago and about the same reduction yearly. Can't even start to count how many times I have spent that "tax reduction" in local taxes increases and higher prices on just about everything, from milk to home insurance.
Guess who will have to pay to rebuild what Katrina destroyed? I am ready to do my part, but I don't expect what you suggest to happen.

Pray, God will solve all our problems. BTW, where is God Now?
Dave Jefford wrote:

He's watching CNN like you should be. Got any home repair topics to discuss, genius?
says... :) Pray, God will solve all our problems. BTW, where is God Now? :) Those who believe would say he is in the heart's of those lined up giving blood, money, opening up their homes and volunteering their time for the needy.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS

Did someone call me ? <LOL>
Couldn't tell you where GOD is. But I thank him for giving me the common sense not to live in a hole with a few dirt mounds keeping the ocean out of my living room
AMUN
If you really think this administration will ask the oil cartel to pay for anything, I have great deals on beach front properties you would love to own...
I don't think they would get a dime frome them. My point was they could show them how get it done fast. But then in the administration wisdom and thinking They will Tax the Tobaco CO.. (I'm not a smoker) What the hell they tax them for everything else.

Hey, watchya asking for that beachfront? I don't know if they were asked, but the Saudi Refining Co. just donated 5 million for relief.
CR

show
Sacramento Dave wrote:
....Snip incoherent rambling...

As has been pointed out ad infinitum, oil (and gasoline) are traded on open mercantile markets...oil is bought/sold there, at market prices.
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Mebbe so, but the gas in the tanks at the individual gas stations has already been paid for. Raising prices due to calamity on the existing, already-been-paid-for supply is pretty much the definition of gouging.
RicodJour wrote:

What do you expect the station's owner / operator to pay for the replacement fuel with. The price of what they are selling now must cover the cost of what they will buy to replace it.
--
Tom Horne

The money that they have made from previous transactions. Do you think gas stations don't make profits.
On the flip side, when the wholesalers drop their prices, the gas staions will be a lot slower lowering prices. They will have made a lot more money and will pocket the difference.
> The price of what they are selling now must

They can use money and credit like every other business in the word does.

Bull Feathers! If the station owners don't have a cushion to fall back on they have no right owning a business...and I'm stating this as a long time business owner myself.
Liz
On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 21:27:07 -0400, Liz wrote:

Tell you what... I'll buy the gas in your car's tank for what you paid for it last week.
--
Keith

> Liz

The gas in my car was purchased 3 weeks ago so no way I'm gonna do that!!!
Liz
On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 14:07:06 -0400, Liz wrote:

Ok, maybe now you'll understand the gas retailer's POV.
--
Keith

Liz wrote:

That being true you know that any business that sells it's stock for less than it will cost to replace that stock and cover their overhead will soon be out of business. -- Tom Horne
"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

Well that all depends on what the stock happens to be, doesn't it? Most stock doesn't turn over quite as fast as gasoline does these days so I can't see the comparison. On the other hand, I own a service business and do not deal in stock so perhaps my reasoning is skewed?
Liz

prices.
Sorry to burst your bubble but station owners don't have much control over street prices. They are TOLD what to sell it at, and are phoned and told when to change the prices.
The mom and pop gas stations that bought gas then sold it themselves are long gone.
At best, Mom and Pop might still own the building and run the store, but the pumps are leased out and run as a separate business that might give Mom and Pop a paycheck once a month.
AMUN