Karma

Several kitchen plumbing problems: 1. replace leaking faucet; 2.repair/replace dishwasher; 3. ditto disposal.
Ewww! Priority is faucet; don't want rot, etc. problems below the sink. Bought faucet and called a new plumber for an estimate. (His son had snaked my bathroom sink very inexpensively; had a good presence, whereas former plumber was a little weird.)
Plumber (they are Indian from Fiji) quoted a good price for installing faucet, after carefully inspecting all parts to see if they fit. Will install next week.
Said the dishwasher was kaput, which I knew.
Re: disposal , former plumber said months ago that there was a rattle in there; disposal was kaput; quoted pretty stiff price (I think?) for disposal + installation. It wasn't very old; got VERY light wear.??? Whatever...
NEW plumber stuck his hand down and fished out a piece of plastic that had been making the rattle. Disposal works fine! Now I am beating myself up for taking former plumber's word w/o checking myself!
We had a nice chat about Hindu gods, the Indian diaspora to Fiji, Kenya, many other places. He said taking care of people is his karma. Ex: He called to say he was running late; got soaked doing an outside job in pouring rain; had to go home & change. Who bothers to call like that any more??!!!
I have often noticed that many foreign-born have more concept of the dignity of giving good service than native-born. Have found this true of shops, restaurants, all kinds of businesses.

Remember to tell him how much you appreciate his work and be sure to tell all your friends and acquaintances how great he and his son are.
Higgs Boson wrote:

Different cultural back ground. Good enough attitude va. best I can. Our HVAC guy is HK born Chinese, works fast and smart. Always charges reasonable fee. He works hard, never wastes time on the job.
Higgs Boson wrote:

Native Americans used to be like that. Take Tonto. Dignity, excellent service, Olympic-class wrestler.

I'd like to think that it's not exclusively the province of the foreign born but sometimes I think that they drive themselves a little harder just because they feel that they have to differentiate themselves from everyone else doing the same job.
Of course, the truth is, if you want to be truly successful, it doesn't matter whether you're foreign born or not, the same principle still applies. The difference between getting a paycheck and actually doing a job.
nate