Karcher pressure washer loses pressure...

Hi all,
My Karcher pressure washer loses pressure very quick. As a result when standby the motor restart the operation constantly for a few seconds. When operating the washer is fine and the pressure OK. A guy said it is a matter of a "seal" that needs replacement. He said it is an easy task. I have been googling for a while but it is no information on Karcher web site on repairing or servicing its machines. Does anybody did such a repairing? Any indications, hints available online? Any part catalog for Karcher is available online?
Any hint is welcomed Thanks in advance Sammy
On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 15:57:03 -0800 (PST), sammybar

This is how a Karcher tells you that the pump is getting ready to fail. If you have more than 5 or 10 hours on it, it's about done. Kiss it goodbye.

There are many seals on it, find the leak then you will know if its worth fixing. A friend used his Karcher every week for maybe 10 yrs only the switch broke even, mine is 4 yrs old, used maybe 8-20 hrs a year and its fine. I have heard they got cheap recently, if its under warranty have them fix it. Look for drips it should not leak.
On 1/26/2009 3:57 PM sammybar spake thus:

I repaired a Karcher washer not long ago. Had a hell of a time trying to find parts; finally ended up getting them from a little bitty place waaaay up in Pinole (anyone familiar with the San Francisco Bay Area will know how out of the way that is) that sold and serviced small gas engines.
The Karcher site does have very good documentation for their washers, including exploded diagrams that make it pretty easy to locate the parts. I think the part I had to replace was a seal.
mostly pears.

I have been looking around the Karcher web sites but all the documentation I can find is the user manual. Exploded diagrams will be very helpful for me but I can not locate where they are. Could you point me to the right place?
Thanks you very much for your hint Sammy
On 1/27/2009 7:14 AM sammybar spake thus:

Aha, it's coming back to me; I didn't leave any notes or bookmarks from my previous search.
So for some strange reason, Karcher doesn't have these documents on its web site. You have to contact a "local service center" (must be due to some contractual arrangement). Here's the note from their site:
Regrettably parts breakdowns can not be obtained directly from Krcher. Parts breakdowns for your model may be obtained by visiting or contacting a local service center.
Krcher does not recommend repairing internal parts of the pressure washer yourself. It can cause severe damage. Please visit an authorized dealer for repairs. Any internal repairs not preformed by an authorized dealer void all warranties.
Please refer to Krchers Service Center Locator to find your nearest location. Krcher also recommends contacting one of our top distributors:
R. J. Bowers (800) 383-6584 www.rjbowers.com Pressure Parts (800) 999-2245 www.pressureparts.com
So I ended up making a bunch of phone calls, getting the runaround a few times, and finally finding the information I was looking for. Sorry, but that's the way things are set up there. If you're persistent you'll find it.
This page, with all its links, is at http://karcher-usa.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/karcher_usa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid 1
(Just ignore their warning about DIY repairs. Ain't rocket science.)
mostly pears.

lot, thanks again...

Yep, you have a leak on the high pressure side. Probably in the connection where the little hose is suppose to pick up and mix the soap. I took that connection out of the line because I don't mix soap. Just hook up the high pressure hose direct to the unit. That was my problem anyway. Hope this helps.
Hank <~~~always under pressure

Hank, It is no visible leak under the washer but through the high pressure output. When the trigger is loosen in the hand gun, it is still some liquid flowing out and as a consequence the pump restarts to maintain the pressure. That is why I think the problem is inside the pump...
Thnaks for yout hint Sammy

So you stop spraying, it leaks out the wand nozzle, and you think its the pump and a junk unit?

wand may be leaking? I'll double check. Thanks for your advice Sammy

Then it is the valve on the handle. ANY leak will cause your problem. The valve is easy to get apart. Take it apart and clean it out. Should fix it.
Hank <~~~has a better handle on things

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 15:57:03 -0800 (PST), sammybar

Try this site. The have breakdown diagrams
http://www.ultimatewasher.com/karcher-breakdown-diagrams.htm#karcherdiagrams