Kansas City High School To Collect Students’ Hair - For Mandatory Drug Testing

Unless I'm reading this wrong, the story does not explicitly say that Rockhurst Highschool is a private school. The story only seems to indicate that with this last sentence:
"Private schools are allowed to test all students while public schools are restricted by the Fourth Amendment."
In any case, we don't do shit like this up here in Canada. We don't even *WANT* to do it.
I don't know why you are killing yourselves financially (if not morally) with this insane desire to create this "total information awareness", all-authority-all-the-time society.
The culture of control.
You americans are hell bent at erasing all boundaries between the common citizen and the people that wear the hats.
Is this what your founding fathers wanted?
================================================ http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2013/01/30/high-school-to-collect-students-hair-for-mandatory-drug-testing /
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (CBS St. Louis) — A Kansas City high school will begin collecting hair from students to conduct mandatory drug tests.
KHSB-TV reports that Rockhurst High School will start the random drug testing during the 2013-14 school year.
“Our point is, if we do encounter a student who has made some bad decisions with drugs or alcohol, we will be able to intervene, get the parents involved, get him help if necessary, and then help him get back on a path of better decision making, healthier choices for his life,” Rockhurst Principal Greg Harkness told the station.
The school will collect 60 strands of hair from the student and test for several types of drugs, including marijuana and cocaine. If a student comes back with a positive drug test, that student will have 90 days to get drug-free. The station reports the file will be destroyed for a student who tests positive after graduation and colleges and universities will never know about the failed test.
Matthew Brocato, the school’s junior class president, told The Kansas City Star that the mandatory drug testing is not to punish students who fail.
“When you hear ‘drug testing,’ you think cops,” Brocato told the Star. “At first you’re taken aback. Is it for the better?”
Officials decided to start drug testing during the next school year after a recent survey conducted to their students.
“What was most alarming for us is that when you asked our students if everyone else is doing it, they said, ‘Yes.’ But, in fact, they weren’t,” Harkness told KHSB. “It’s that perception I think among teenagers today that fuels the peer pressure – that there’s this idea that ‘Everyone is doing it, so I guess I have to do it myself.’”
Parents are also backing the school’s decision.
“We’ve had lots of conversations – that’s the thing I like most about it – it has opened up conversations around the dinner table with both my boys, and that’s been great for our family,” mother Tammy Privitera told the station.
The ACLU, though, believe school drug testing is a waste of time and money.
“Nothing prohibits it,” Doug Bonney, legal director for the ACLU of Kansas and Western Missouri, told the Star. “But it is a colossal waste of money.”
Private schools are allowed to test all students while public schools are restricted by the Fourth Amendment.
Add pictures here
âś–
On 1/30/2013 8:16 PM, Hair Today wrote:

I am a Canadian and you do not speak for me. Do not use terms like "WE", because from most of your posts on here you do NOT speak for Canadians, you speak for yourself...
Do not tell me what I want or do not want!
Add pictures here
âś–
Hench wrote:

+1
--
PV

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and
drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
âś–
Hench wrote:

Damn straight!!!

If your kid was a criminal, then you as a parent should get your ass kicked, and any drug testing that YOU want to happen to YOUR KIDS should come at YOUR GOD DAMN EXPENSE, on YOUR TIME, and have NOTHING TO DO WITH SCHOOL - and certainly NOT INVOLVE MY KIDS.
Or are ideas and concepts like that beyond your understanding?
Add pictures here
âś–
On 1/30/2013 5:16 PM, Hair Today wrote:

OK, so what happens when they don't?
Add pictures here
âś–
On 1/30/2013 8:16 PM, Hair Today wrote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/12/07/f-random-drug-testing.html
Add pictures here
âś–

Good!
This will give the kids a taste of what it will be like out in the REAL world once they graduate.
And that is many employers do drug testing these days.
Add pictures here
âś–
Bill wrote:

Because you are all plebes. Serfs.
You have no rights.
Drug testing here in Canada is extremely rare, as pointed out in the article posted by "Your Name":
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/12/07/f-random-drug-testing.html
Thanks for posting that, by the way. It does a good job of illustrating how far down the toilet the USA has gone.
Add pictures here
âś–
says...

Companies I know and work with do drug test very rarely and then only if there is an incident that may invovle legal action.
Odd but those seem to be the most profitable in their region, market and industry.
Those are also companies that focus fixing only what's clearly broken.
Add pictures here
âś–
Hair Today wrote:

Only nitwits in the legal office of the public schools would infer that that the 4th Amendment prohibits drug testing.
The 4th Amendment states: "... UNREASONABLE searches and seizures..." All the school system has to do is demonstrate that keeping drugs - and drug users - out of the public schools is "reasonable." Many schools already do it for extra-cirrucula activities (sports, drill teams, etc.).
This is the same rationale as drug tests for the military, CIA, Air Traffic Controllers, etc.
Add pictures here
âś–