KABOOB!! A Gas Explosion Close To Home

Page 5 of 10
On 12/19/2013 4:51 PM, Larry W wrote:

No, methane...
On 12/19/2013 11:01 PM, Irreverent Maximus wrote:

Dog farts? o_O
TDD
On 12/19/2013 9:24 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

I think that would also include the doghouse.
Real story. A friend of mine had a knock at his door, it was the police. He lives in a crime section of a city, and the cop was there to tell him that code enforcement required insulation in his dog's doghouse.
Time might have been better spend casing drug dealers, and gun runners.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

No, of course not. But we've been through this before. Pete C is a kook, with some sort of bias against natural gas, that leads him to make up phony statistics. He does this every couple of years, it seems. I don't think he ever answered my question about whether he's a personal- injury lawyer. If you Google on "natural gas explosion statistics" you'll find law firms much more easily than you'll find actual statistics.
So maybe that explains why Pete C is so eager to overstate the hazard?
On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 14:24:10 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@adi.com (Cindy Hamilton) wrote:

As does Vermont. CO detectors, too.

Michigan requires them only when a dwelling is built or renovated. We have a CO detector, but under the law we're not required to. I'm surprised they don't require them for sale, but we don't have to get a Certificate of Occupancy to transfer deed, so there's really no way to enforce it.
Cindy Hamilton

On 12/18/2013 11:45 AM, Pete C. wrote:

Did you read it Looks like four years to me, plus you math is wrong. U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated annual average of 2,110 home* structure fires in which natural gas was the type of material first ignited and 1,170 in which material ignited was LP-Gas in 2003-2007.

Note the words "average annual".
It's poorly written, but it looks like they mean that over the period from 2003-2007 the _average annual_ number of fires was 2110 + 1170.
On 12/18/2013 11:04 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

But 2110 + 1170 = 3280, not 4000 that it was rounded to for dramatic effect. Nor does it come close to electrical fires (see link in my other post)
Home electrical fires account for an estimated 51,000 fires each year, nearly than 500 deaths, more than 1,400 injuries, and $1.3 billion in property damage. - See more at: http://esfi.org/index.cfm/page/Home-Electrical-Fires/pid/12854#sthash.aWCgX261.dpuf

Even more to the point, that's 3280 *fires*. Pete falsely claims 4000+ *explosions*.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Here is one of their reports:
http://www.nfpa.org/~/media/files/research/fact%20sheets/gasfactsheet.pdf
They reorganized their site and it's a bit difficult to find things now. There should be a gashomefactsheet.pdf and a gasnonhomefactsheet.pdf out there as well.

And it doesn't show "4000+ residential gas explosions per year", does it?
Doug Miller wrote:

3,280 give or take, nearly 9 per day on average. Close enough given the last time I looked it up was in 2010.

Where does it say "explosions", Pete?
Nowhere.
It says "fires".
Doug Miller wrote:

Clearly you lack the intelligence to understand the dynamics of gaseous fueled fire incidents. Go back to high school science class.

Clearly you lack the intelligence to differentiate between your assumptions and actual facts.
And it actually is you who lacks the understanding of "gaseous fueled fire incidents", not me. Nowhere nearly all such incidents are explosions; most are merely fires. You're clearly unaware that for an explosion to occur, the fuel/air ratio must fall into a fairly narrow band.
If there were actually that many explosions, don't you imagine it would *say* explosions?
There's a *reason* the document talks about fires, not explosions.
Doug Miller wrote:

There is a reason there isn't a separate stat for explosions - they are the norm with gas leaks that find ignition sources.

You *must* be a lefty.

What does being left handed have to do with it? ^_^
TDD