K & T wiring

Page 4 of 4

I have friends wqho attempted to sell homes with K&T no buyers could get a new homeowners policy. one person never did sell.
my best friend found he could get a big savings by combining homeowners with car insurance.
State Farm refused to sell him a policy. Not only over K&T but his highly detoriated and patched front steps. the steps are different heights thanks to the patching.
hey its your money and your hassle when you cant get a buyer. so enjoy your K&T.
incidently several years ago my buddy with K&T smeled something hot, and found a connection frying in the cieling.

BS, I don't believe a word you wrote.
--
Steve Barker

it doesnt effect me at all.......
perhaps its a local issue? i dont know

Seems to be local/regional, and maybe come and go in some kind of fashion swing. When we got insurance on our Toronto place in 2003, several insurers declined to cover a K&T property; one major insurer would do so only if we had it home-inspected by a particular (large, well-established) home inspection firm.
So it's real for some people, in some places, at some times. And apparently not so for others.
Some years prior the big thing was exposed "insul-brick", this roll- asphalt fake-brick stuff that got applied over the clapboards of essentially every house in the city sometime in the prior 50 years. Couldn't find an insurer to cover a house with the stuff -- after signing the offer to purchase. So we got the seller to agree to let us, at our expense, have aluminum siding installed over it, prior to closing. Obviously a risk that should the deal fail to close, we've paid to improve someone else's house. Ehh, you take some chances.
Chip
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

How did the others sell? Some companies won't insure with K&T, but if no buyers could get policies, perhaps inspectors had found specific problems. For example, K&T rated for 15 amps might be connected to a circuit protected by a 20-amp breaker. Some K&T wiring has the neutral side switched. Some may have splices in walls.

Steps that are not equal are dangerous.
Last year I got a refusal-to-renew notice because an inspector had swung buy and seen peeling paint on the fascia board of a 10x12 open shed, a crack (60 years old) in the wall of my cement garage, and lifting shingles.
My agent immediately found me cheaper coverage from a company with higher ratings.
The five missing shingle tabs had disappeared on a day of 60-mph sustained winds. I had assumed this meant I'd have to reroof soon. I discovered that the roofing was still pretty good. The broken shingles were easy to replace.

Was disaster imminent? K&T uses air to prevent shorts and dissipate heat in the event of a hot connection.

well your post confirms homeowner companies are doing drive by inspections
my friends connection was burning at the time he found it, which could happen with any wiring but his K&T has no boxes.
he had stuff on shelves under the burning connection he coud of lost the entire home.
around here news has had stories where cracked uneven sidewalks can get your existing homeowners not renewed, trip hazard.
one elderly lady had a tree towering over her home, insurance said no renewal, the tree mght have fallen and flatened the house
in this case a tree company came to her rescue and removed it for free, she was near 90 years old and couldnt afford the several thousand dollar tree removal bill.
remember insurance companies goal is to make money and part of that is to minimize risks
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I imagine a smoking connection will not itself cause a fire if the insulation will not support a flame and nothing flammable is against it.
When I've replaced ceiling lights that had K&T wiring, I've replaced the wiring with NM cable. I think a porcelain fixture with screw terminals a couple of inches apart was safe with K&T, but I can't remember if I've seen fixtures that weren't connected as safely.

A national company had taken my policy from a regional company. I wonder if inspectors had orders to find reasons to dump a lot of policy holders in order to limit the company's exposure in this area, in case of a disaster.
In this state, an insurer can put up to half their policy holders into the reinsurance facility. Ostensibly it's for high-risk drivers, but the insurer doesn't have to give a reason. In more than 40 years of driving I've never had a ticket or been involved in an incident that resulted in a claim, but I'm in the facility and they won't say why. What it really means is that if I ever get a ticket, I'll have to pay my insurer a huge surcharge. Insurance can be profitable when the industry owns the government.
If you owned a insurance company would you want to insure homes in poor condition? thus putting you at greater risk to pay claims?
remember homeowners insurance is pretty cheap.
600 bucks a year to insure a home and contents worth easily over $200,000.00 and perhaps far more

$300K, plus $150K contents, plus $300K liability. Yep, pretty cheap.
On 6/2/2010 8:27 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:

I've NEVER had one ask. I had to ask them. And they said no problem.
--
Steve Barker

Its not so much in what they don't ask, it is more about the list of exclusions in the policy coverages that MOST consumers never read and are baffled when some claim is denied...
Read all several hundred pages of your insurance policy contract including all of the fine print before you start making statements you really can not prove that are sweeping generalizations about insurance policies that are incorrect and not valid...
~~ Evan