K.I.S.S.

Buddy called me over the weekend. Came home after a three day trip to a 48 degree house.
Breaker wasn't tripped and he used the thermostat to put the blower on but no heat (forced air furnace).
I told him to cut the power for ten minutes to try and reset the board. Then told him to look for the ignitor and see if it was glowing. After 20 minutes on the phone he found it but said he couldn't get a good view or follow the wires. He decided to cal the guy who left a sticker on the furnace...
Guy asked him if the breaker was tripped then if the red light on the board was glowing, those two things were OK so he came out. Wallked in the house and jumped out the thermostat and the furnace fired right up. $300 isn't so bad to get thermostat installed at 11:30 on a Friday night...
Today I found out that when he had called me he used the Auto/On switch to get the blower running not the temperature control.

So you're saying that the repair guy replaced a working thermostat?
Do you think he was an idiot or unethical?

Oh... I thought you meant he set the Auto/On fan switch to On and was wondering why he had no heat, i.e. user error.
Well thanks for being so honest/humble. ;-)
On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 11:42:20 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

Probably wouldn't run the blower if it was the battery. A few days ago I went to bed late and noticed the bedroom was chilly. Wife was already dozing under the covers. Checked the thermostat, a Honeywell programmable. Nothing on the digital display. Put 2 new AA's in it and the furnace kicked on. It read 61 degrees. We keep it 69-70. Something to think about if you're going to be away in the winter.
--Vic
On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 10:40:48 -0800 (PST), Limp Arbor

I'm sorry to say this, but that guy deserves the idiot of the month award.....