Just one coat of Paint?

We bought a new house and got a bid for painting from painters my husband used 7 years ago on our current home. That house was only 3-4 years old at the time, and I believe they only did one coat of paint. It seems to be holding up okay.
They only want to do one coat of paint on all the interior rooms, including 2 bathrooms, a kitchen, a hallway, laundry room, master bedroom (just one wall and doors) lots of closets and some basement.
In both the bathrooms the previous owner lit candles and it cast some kind of smoke shadows on the ceilings. I have been reading that its good to paint a coat of tinted primer in addition to one coat of paint. I would at least like to do this in the 2 bathrooms, kitchen, hallway and basement floor. We could skip the closets. The thing is the painters were resistant to our suggestion when I mentioned the primer. She said we don't need it. Do you agree it is necessary, especially in the bathrooms? Also, in the kitchen, we are going from bright yellow, to a lighter yellow.
She was also resistant to our suggestion of going with Behr, which was highly rated in Consumer Reports. She wanted to used Pittsburg Paints, which was not reviewed in the latest Consumer Reports. Does anyone know anything about the quality of that brand? I guess they get a good price on that brand.
Thanks.
I agree you don't need it. The walls have already been primed. Pittsburg paint is a good major name brand
If the paint is good enough, and the painters know what they are doing, then one coat should work. If they are accustomed to using a particular brand of paint, then you should probably let them use it. With respect to your ascertation that Behr is good paint, I find plenty of complaints about them. Opinions of paint are all over the place and hard to trust. I suspect that a lot of that has to due with lack of prep and misuse, but that does make any ratings hard to go by.
Gina wrote:

With good paint and good painters and no special problems (it does not sound like you really have any) one coat can really do it.
Most of us mortals use two coats. That makes it a lot easier as it covers up for our errors.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
One word of caution, you cannot always judge the quality of paint by the name of the manufacturer alone. Just like Ford, who make cheap low quality cars and expensive quality cars, the paint manufacturers do similar things. They have paint at low price points and their quality paints at a much higher cost. Pittsburgh Paint is a good brand, but what "model" or version are they planning on using, the cheap crap or the good stuff, find out which "brand" of Pittsburgh Paint they will use and check the cans to ensure it is used. Before accepting any painter's quote, check out the exact paint they will use, on the internet, you can see if it is recommended for your situation and where it fits in their price structure.
Test the worst area of the walls or ceiling to see if the paint will stick properly without priming or cleaning -- I don't know how you would clean a wax film off, but I imagine an alcohol/shellac primer would dissolve and cut through the waxy film, while latex paint will not.

In addition to what others have said, I'll add this: If the surface to be painted is in good condition (no peeling, not covered in cooking grease or nicotine haze), you don't necessarily have to prime it.
Gina wrote:

Typically you don't primer a painted surface.
Pros usually aren't interested in what consumer reports might have to offer because they buy better quality paints at real paint stores.

Done right, tha tis OK. I like to give a second "quick coat" but I'm not a pro painter.

Yellow can be tough to overcoat with. Are you going to wash the walls first? That would eliminate a lot of potential problems.

Personally, I'd choose the Pittsburgh over Behr every time. It is a very good paint.