Just installed new doors, now warping... HELP please

Hello

I was hoping I could get some help here. I am having an old home remodeled, and had all the interior doors replaced with 6 panel everyday doors from home depot about a month ago. I live in an area with tons and tons of humidity and it's been raining quite a bit.

Recently I noticed that many of these doors which used to close on perfectly now don't close - they get 'stuck' as if they were expanding! On inspection, they appear to be normal, no abnormal curves or obvious warping, it just seems like they are getting bigger and won't close!

Does this have to do with the moisture, improper installation, lack of paint / finish, or something else? What can I do to stop it? (some of the doors are still intact).

What can I do to repair the doors which are not closing any more? If I need to replace them, will home depot take them back?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Reply to
Manish

they have expanded due to moisture , your carpenter should have anticipated this and should adjust them for free.....

Reply to
mark Ransley

Are these the white fiiberboard doors? They really shouldn't change size much. Make sure all edges were painted and not just the front and back. Also have you checked the door frames? Could be it is the door frames and not the doors. Sometimes they can be adjusted by holding a padded block of wood against it and hitting it a couple of times with a hammer. No kidding.

bigger

Reply to
Art Begun

place a level on the door edge (open 15% and 90%) the door should be plumb in any position to be installed correctly. also place the level against the hinges (on the swing side of the door) to make sure they are plumb.

Many times you can install 8p finish nails above and below each hinge (into jamb) or a longer screw in the middle hole in the hinges to solve the sticking problem.

and of course check for paint drips on the door edges1st. and make sure all 6 sides are painted.

_\ \ \ | / / / _ ( ' 0 - - 0 ' )

-----ooO----(__)----Ooo----- 3GCPO I'll wait here while you check

Reply to
3GCPO

oh yes they will. even moreso than real wood doors. I deal with this everyday. the main culprit seems to be that painters dont bother to paint the top and bottom of the doors. all six sides must be sealed.

mostly from humidity. but the installer may be to blame some too. he should have used shims at the hinges and at least 3 places on the latch side. most installers these days do not do this. i guess they feel it takes valuable time. lol. i guess the time to come back and fix later is less valuable! hehehehe. with some patience they can be made to work.

What can I do to stop it?

turn up the heat or air conditioning for a couple days and the doors should shrink back down. then paint all six sides. if this doesnt work you can [pull ] the hinges a little using some long screws remove the screw nearest the stop bead on the jamb and put a 2 1/2" screw in that hole. draw it up tight untill the door moves a little. do this in each hinge. only move it a little as a little goes a long way. you dont want to put the door in a bind. george

Reply to
george

[...]

Oh B.S. George @home.net ... Its the installer ......... NOT the PAINTER..... Improper install... .......You are a AT HOME .NET ,, not working ,, .......moron .. Doors swell like ALL WOOD,, instaled properly,,, SWELL WITH HOUSE.... tell them turn on heat !!!!!!! yea , you still at home no work.......Shims ? its probably swelling and sticking at closing points , blame it on someone else George, you are the guy id make fix it or no pay.......on my job... George " Its the other guys fault ".

Reply to
mark Ransley