Just helping neighbor

...starting his only once used gas power washer.

I just helped as I would normally.

My return? He gives me a 24" Rigid pipe wrench.

Wanna buy it?

It was a friendly act towards him and now I have to sell a 24 inch pipe wrench. BTW I have no use in my DIY.

Reply to
Oren

Yeahbut. He might need to borrow it someday.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Wanna bet he re-gifted it?

Why don't you pass it forward the next time somebody lends you a hand?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I will give the tool away. It means nothing to me. Others might benefit. The neighbor, in my case, should not feel obligated to give me a present, because I helped him out.

Jest sayin...

Reply to
Oren

Guilt-free solution- give it to local Habitat for Humanity, and if he ever asks where it is, tell him you don't have any nuts or unions that big, and you hated to see such a fine tool go to waste, so you found a good home for it.

Or if you have any friend's kids going through trade school or apprenticeship, give it to them for a graduation present.

Reply to
aemeijers

I learned a long time ago to never accept "gifts" from neighbors. Last guy tried to give me a broken week-eater that needed a fuel hose - guess what would have been expected of me once I got it running?

No thanks, I've got my own sh*t to deal with.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

you never know when any tool may be of use!! May not be for plumbing but some other wierd application.

Just put in drawer for future use if ever needed

Reply to
hallerb

Works great for adjusting a burglar's head.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Oren wrote the following:

Just me being pedantic, but all pipe wrenches are pretty rigid, so it is not worth mentioning, unless you meant Ridgid. :-)

Reply to
willshak

When I need a tool, I buy it. Been doing it this way ever since I started working with tools in high school, and especially since I bought my home.

They really do tend to add up over the years.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Chuckle. Especially for disorganized people like me. Very frustrating, knowing I own a certain tool, not being able to find it, and running out and buying another one to get a job done. I'm 3-4 deep in some stuff by now. Mostly cheap stuff, thankfully.

I really need to take a week of vacation, have somebody confiscate my car keys, dsl modem, and satt TV box, and do nothing but sort all this crap out. But there is always something more interesting to do than sort stuff. Need me a SWMBO, I guess, since I seem to lack the nesting gene. I wouldn't expect her to do the work or anything, just keep prodding me with a stick.

Reply to
aemeijers

The trick is to just put the tool back in the same place each time. It doesn't matter if you have your tools scattered in several dozen places about the house, just make sure that each thing goes back to its home when you are done with it.

The biggest problem then becomes training yourself to put things away after a job, but that is a relatively simple 'trick' to learn (certainly easier than going through everything and organizing them, which often leads to CFS).

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

re: "I'm 3-4 deep in some stuff by now."

Wanna buy a set of combination wrenches? or 2 sets?

A pair of standard pliers? or 2 pairs? or 3?

How many claw hammers would you like? I've got at least 2 extras.

Screwdrivers? Good grief...how many screwdrivers (of the same size) does one person need?

Guess who sorted out his tools recently?

Don't tell SWMBO. I'll bet I have a cruise-worth of duplicates. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ya know?! That my very first thought. And then I came to my senses. I prefer to pop caps further than an arms distance.

Reply to
Oren

I'll take it. I need a larger pipe wrench. I'm in nc, what do you figure is the shipping?

Reply to
jamesgangnc

re: "just make sure that each thing goes back to its home"

In my case, "home" for the vast majority of my hand tools is one of 2 tool boxes.

Since I not only use my tools at home but also away from home (hobbies and volunteer work) most of my hands tools live in a tool box. Sometimes I need a lot of them, so I take the bigger fold-open multi- shelf tool box and sometimes I travel light and just take what I'll need in a smaller tool box.

Of course, once I'm home and need a tool, I have to look in one or the other tool box, depending on what I took along on the last "job". But first, I have to look for the tool boxes! Garage? Shop? Van? Trailer? Sheesh!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

What's the expression? "If it weren't for women, we wouldn't know where to put the furniture?"

Reply to
HeyBub

Better go see a doctor...I don't recall seeing any man say he needed someone to nag him :o) There are professional organizers who will come in a bring order to a home...my daughter hired one, after I spent about five years resisting the urge to just dig in and take care of it. I did vacuum her furnace ducts and other little things, but felt guilty about that :o) I used to organize my husband's tool closets (condo, no garage) but it isn't worth the punishment....he has filed for divorce, but had a small stroke so I guess things will go slow. Picking up his s--- will be good occupational therapy :o) I didn't wish it on him, it just happened :o)

Reply to
norminn

When my kids were growing up, they had full, unrestricted access to my shop and tools. There was one rule that I applied very strongly: when done with a tool, either put it exactly where you found it OR leave it on my workbench and I'll put it away.

Now that the kids are grown and gone, I have some neighborhood teenagers who occasionally borrow tools. Before they get them, however, they have to recite the #1 rule to me.

Reply to
Nonny

"HeyBub" wrote in news:_bCdnRCo65Gh14vRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

....you guys would be lost. he he he