Just bought house with 1,000 gallon propane tank (is this normal?)

Wow. It's a shame they never met.
(Maybe your mother could have gotten my mother to join a commune.)

She never used air freshener either. I never noticed a smell.
On 12/19/2015 08:08 AM, Micky wrote:

So you're saying your shit doesn't stink. Okaaaaay....

Matches are a pain in the ass. And the cheap cardboard ones you often get for free, are very poorly made these days. The old wooden ones are better. But for th oven (and the burners), I use one of those "fireplace lighters". Basically just a cig lighter with a long extension. That prevents burned fingers.
I shut the pilot off entirely in my oven. I dont bake, so it's probably been at least a year since I used the oven, and that was to dry out a metal can full of nails I forgot to bring indoors before it rained.
On 12/18/2015 04:31 AM, Micky wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanethiol
That says one part in 2.8 billion is detectable. I'd hate to smell the stuff straight up.
Per Uncle Monster:

Maybe that's the stuff your chemistry teacher used to keep us under control. The threat was that if we didn't behave, he would un-cork a bottle of the stuff in our classroom. He did do it once... and that was plenty for us...
--
Pete Cresswell

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

couldn't prove which miscreant did the deed. ?(^o^)?

Didn't have his fingerprints on file? (g)
--
Tekkie

On 12/18/2015 02:42 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

I only have the pilot on the top burners and not the oven. Sometimes in the summer when the windows are open it will blow out. If I'm not using the stove it can take a day or two before there's enough concentration to smell, let alone be a problem.
I turn the furnace pilot off in the summer. On warm days the pilot can heat the furnace up enough that it triggers the fan sensor. No harm except the fan sounds like a 727 taking off.

Ive had that happen many times. In fact, even if the pilot is off, my furnace blower may start running because its so hot in the house. I dont use AC. The solution is to just shut off the entire furnace. No gas, no electricity. I rigged up a furnace blower in a window. That sucks the hot air out of the house a lot faster than plain old window fans, and dont cost a fortune to run, like an AC does.
On 12/18/2015 8:01 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

In my last trailer, no AC. One time it got up to 93F daytime, with 103 indoors. The fan came on.
Furnace blower fan sounds like a good idea. I sure wished for a window AC in at least the bedroom.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/18/2015 01:04 AM, M. Stradbury wrote:

Yes. My furnace has three positions on the knob, off, on, and pilot. To light it, you turn the know to pilot. There's a notch at that location that allows you to push down a button and then light the pilot. Hold it for about 30 seconds to heat the thermocouple, and then turn it to the on position.
On a new setup, the lines are filled with air, so it can take a while to purge out the air. Turning the burners on the range helps bleed it out.
It's a lot safer today when a lot of appliances have electronic ignition rather than pilot lights that were always lit.
On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 04:47:58 -0000 (UTC), "M. Stradbury"

Absolutely nothing. It's a way they can screw an extra $50 or more from a customer. If the gas was shut off for years, I could sort of understand it, because stuff can rust and corrode. But if I run out of gas on Monday and call them on Tuesday, there is no excuse or need to inspect. Yet, if I tell them at the office I ran out, they will do their useless inspection and charge me $50.
When my gas tank is filled, my furnace pilot light is OFF and cant leak gas. My old range has the old pilot lights, so a very tiny amount of gas can leak, but it's not enough to really cause a problem. But to be 100% safe, and also to protect them, I told them to write on my record, to always shut off the valve that goes to the house if I'm not home, when they fill the tank. All that means is that I have to re-light my pilot lights. No biggie! (only my furnace and range). My water heater is electric.
On 12/18/2015 04:30 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Absolutely wrong!
If the tank and lines are filled with air, there is a small risk of explosion. Reputable suppliers use (tank and line) purge procedures when the tank has gone empty.
But hey, do as you like. It's your house. Will obamacare cover your stay at the trauma center?

They did that when I first bought my tank. But just having the furnace running my tank out of gas because I did not fill the tank, dont let air in. There's still a little gas, but not enough pressure to keep the pilot going.

I have a cooktop that uses the always own very small pilot lights. I think all the old gas ranges were like that. There is no safety device built into them. There would be a possibility that the house fills with enough gas or propane to cause an explosion if the homeowner was gone for a long time. Did they do anything to check for leaks during the inspection?

On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 05:50:59 -0600, "Dean Hoffman"

They did that when I first connected this system up.
They also did it when they insisted my (working) regulator had to be replaced because it was an old model. I bitched about that, because they said it would cost me over $100. They finally just changed it at no cost to me, then pressure tested the system. (This is one advantage to getting gas from the same supplier).
On 12/17/15 7:08 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Nope, sad really. He must have skipped school the day they covered critical thinking skills...
--
Life is tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid.
- John Wayne
M. Stradbury wrote:

yeah, they don't fill it all the way up.

not too horrible a price. no idea what the hazmat fee might be for. ask them.

any time you run a tank out here it costs extra for inspection to make sure it didn't run out from a leak or whatever. IMO a scam regulation.
don't run it out! ask the previous owners or propane company for yearly records to see how much you might use and check the tank level periodically to make sure you don't run out...

sounds mostly routine.
songbird
On 12/17/2015 5:55 PM, M. Stradbury wrote:

Pretty normal The hazmat fee is a rip off. It should be just the cost of doing business, but they make it a line item. Get an oil change on your car and you may see an additional "disposal" fee. Just a way of advertising a $29 oil change and charging $32.
This is what Amerigas has to say: HazMat & Safety Compliance Fee - This fee, which is assessed to propane deliveries and service calls, helps to offset a portion of the costs the Company incurs to comply with federal, state and local government regulations, including, but not limited to, hazardous materials, homeland security, emergency preparedness and workplace safety. It is also used to fund, among other things, employee safety training and inspections, cylinder re-qualification, and environmental compliance.
On 12/17/2015 03:55 PM, M. Stradbury wrote:

The inspection fee might be because of the change of ownership. The hazmat fee is one of those little gouges like the odd fees on a landline phone bill.
A few years back I was on an autofill plan. A new driver tpped up the tank, which took about 8 gallons. The hazmat and delivery fee exceeded the price of the gas. I bitched, and they refunded the extra fees. About a month later, the same thing occurred. That's when I dropped the autofill. I keep an eye on the tank and when it's getting down I tell them to fill it. The Amerigas office is on one of the routes I walk for lunch so it's no big deal to stop by.
rbowman wrote:

A neighbor told me that the same thing happens when he's on the autofill plan. They come and put in a small amount of gallons and then he gets hit with the hazmat fee over and over again.
He says they charge more if you're on an "as-call" basis, so, he said what he does is not pay them.
When you don't pay them, they don't show up, even if you're on a schedule.
Then, when he gets down to about 20%, he pays them for the last fill. Once his check clears, they come.
So, he says, it's a way that he gets to be "on-call" at auto-fill prices.