jury-rigged core aerator, roller?

OK, I've got a fork, I've got a spike aerator, but I don't want to shell out the three-figures-and-up for a tow-behind style core aerator -- what am I, a farm? -- and I can't find a manual core aerator locally.

Anything I can jury-rig that will work almost as well, or should I stick with the spiker, which everybody says doesn't do half the job, but seems to open up the soil well enough at first glance.

Also, what would people recommend for a jury-rigged roller? I've tried a ten-gallon drum filled with concrete (okay, a boat anchor!), but it doesn't roll straight. Something larger, without the built-in angle, that I can fill with water? I can lean over and roll the mother, I don't need a handle.

Reply to
Dan Hartung

How big is your yard?

Reply to
Mike Turco

A rental center?????

to shell

aerator -- what

but seems

angle,

Reply to
DanG

I used to pay a guy to aerate the lawn every third year. He used a coring type like they do on golf courses and football stadiums. The other years I used an ripper blade on the mower. Kept the thatch to a agreeable level. Your spikier should work except it compresses the ground instead of removing a core.

Try northern tools.

My lawn was about a 1/2 acre. It looked nice when I took the time. I sold that house recently and bought a 17" electric mower. Takes almost as long to get out the cord as it does to mow the back lawn... My choice not yours

Reply to
SQLit