Junked car left on my property by former tenants

You need a local attorney for advice, not a worldwide usenet group. We would have no way to know your local laws.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

kelly.jj

Good plan. :-)

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

I think that vacation rentals are probably a good way to go. I would go along with that, but not month to month or yearly leases on regular rental property. You just never know what kind of renters you're going to get.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

"Cheri" wrote

Absolutely. When someone is having a problem getting rid of a car that a tenant has abandoned, has to jump through hoops, and stands to lose if the tenant wants to get litigious, it ain't worth it. Particularly if all you are doing is breaking even and taking on a lot more work and maintenance to keep it up. Not to mention stress.

Vacation rentals do have their parameters, too. You have to have a nice house in a nice neighborhood. You have to be in a city that receives a moderate amount of travel. You have to remodel and furnish. You have to have cleaning staff and a good maintenance man.

But, when you do the P&L at the end of the year and are still smiling, it's a good thing.

PLUS, you can trade rentals. We went to Mazatlan this year by trading one week for one week. We are now considering an offer from Australia. No cash outlay, no paper trail.

Steve

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Yes, Christopher. Excellent advice.

But, you do have to admit, getting rid of a derelict car is no big deal. I would bet anyone a Franklin that I could get rid of one within 24 hours.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Hold your phone calls, folks. We have a winner!

Steve ;-)

Reply to
Steve B

Beat cop? Beat Cop???

Please, what ees thees "beat cop"? I theenk I read about heem in old history book???

Reply to
aspasia

Something that I've only ever seen in Chicago. Perhaps that's where "HeyBub" is from?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Of course. If you break a contract you can/will be sued for damages.

Let's say the lease payments are $1000/month, the tenant walks out half way through the year, and it takes 2 months to find a new tenant. The damages are $2000 and the ex-tenant would be liable (and not limited to the deposit). The landlord is obligated to make a reasonable effort to mitigate the losses by seeking a new tenant.

If for some reason the landlord is unable to locate a new tenant for whatever (good) reason, the ex-tenant is, of course, liable for every penny that would have been owed for the full term.

Rental companies like to scare people with "unbreakable" leases, but the fact is, you can break a lease absolutely any time for any reason. Just be prepared to pay the full fair losses of the other party.

I keep reading posts about people breaking sales contracts because the property depreciated. They ask, "Will I lose my deposit?" They're lucky if that's all they lose!!

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Wow Steve, that sounds like a good deal. I can see why you would be smiling.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

I definitely would not do that.

Reply to
CJT

A few years ago this happened to me with a former tenant. Just called a friend of mine with a car hauler. He came in, grabbed the car and dropped it off in a ditch by the river. "I have no idea where it is or what happened to it" What car?

Reply to
Asmodean

Another great solution IMO.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Nah, I'm in Houston. And used to be a cop. The current politically-correct term is "neighborhood policing officer."

Thought about buying a house a few years ago. As we were leaving after looking over the property (and boy did it look good), I stopped a patrol car driving by, told him what my mission was, and asked whether he had any advice about the neighborhood.

"I can't advise you on whether to buy this house, but I'm doing what I do every day. Between calls I reconoiter the parking lot at those apartments down the block and run license plates on my computer. I find two, three stolen cars every single day. That apartment house if chock-a-block full of goblins! Now if you don't mind living within 50 yards of more thieves than sailed with Blackbeard, you might have found a spot."

Reply to
HeyBub

Good for you. I would. While you are living with a junk car on your property for years, I'd be clear of it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The rental next to us had someone move in with 3 junk cars. One day they up and left and took everything (which consisted of a PS2, a TV and some clothing) but left the junk cars. The landlord tried to get someone to tow the cars, no one would (this the great state of nc). I saw him out there one day so I asked him what was up. He told me that he couldn't get the cars towed despite the renters breaking their lease. After a couple of beers (I was trying to bribe him to quit renting to people who had been evicted from everywhere else) I told him I was filing a complaint over them since they were an eyesore.

I called it in to the city and they gave him a week to take care of the issue. He tried to contact the former renters again, no luck. One day 3 tow trucks showed up and hauled them off. The local cop was there to make sure the renters didn't appear and go nuts.

I had someone leave a dead car in my driveway once while we were on vacation. I pushed it out into the street (fun when it had 2 flats). The next day the cops put a ticket and a 7 day "move it or lose it" sticker. Day 7 came and they towed it away. They knew who owned it after tracing the VIN, so he ended up getting a bill for it.

Good luck with this, post back your findings!

Reply to
cas

One morning I found that a car was parked in the alley in front of my garage door. A red "No Parking" sign was on the garage. I had an appointment, so I called the police and they immediately towed it away. I'd expect that if a car is left for more than a week or two, it should be removed, but it is best left up to law enforcement.

Reply to
Phisherman
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Call the cops and ask them, then call a wrecker service and ask *them*.

Laws vary by state. In my state, I give the owner a written demand to remove it and a deadline. Keep a copy. I then call a wrecker and they have me sign a "Tow Request and Authorization Form". I have to certify that I am the owner of the property and that the vehicle listed on the form has been abandoned on my property without my consent for a minimum of 48 hours. The vehicle then disappears, no fuss, no muss.

I have to do it once or twice a year and it has never been a problem.

John

Reply to
John~