Junk : Legitimate Phone Calls - Your Ratio ?

Page 4 of 4
On 11/30/2015 3:04 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Never tracked them but we average about 5 junk calls a week, about 5 legit calls too.

I get them occasionally, but there's one that's persistently been calling for over a year. It's a recording from some credit card company that I don't do business with - from what I've understood. "Last chance to lower your rate", or similar. Asks you to stay on the line. I think I did once, and told them to quit calling. They kept calling. A few times I just laid the phone down. They still call about once every week or two I think. Hard to say, because most of the time I just hang up on robocalls before I hear anything. If there's any delay I just hang up, and robocalls aren't very smart in connecting. It's not enough to bother me much, and if it did I think I have a solution. My phone plays a customized tune when a son or daughter calls. I could just add everybody else who calls with one tune. The rest goes to voice mail. But I'd still hear it ringing. For the number of these calls I get, it's easier just picking up the phone. But it's an option.
Per Vic Smith:

That's pretty much my own strategy so far. I add to it an assumption (based on no real knowledge) that the computer doing the calling is looking for a human voice response and needs a certain volume/speed to ID a person. With that in mind, I answer speaking quickly and softly "Hello, this is Pete Cresswell". If I sense that "dead" feeling in the line or nobody responds within a second or so I just hang up.
I do miss the occasional call from people using certain cell phone providers.... it's as if the provider is saving a little bandwidth by not having the line open to the caller right away. Oh well....
--
Pete Cresswell

alt.home.repair:

I've been told, and I believe it, that if you answer the phone at all you've already done the damage. You will have verified that your number is valid and it will then be placed on a list of vetted phone numbers and sold. In other words, just by answering you have assured that you will be receiving more calls.
My strategy is to never answer a call whose caller ID I don't recognize. My phone speaks the ID so I don't even need to get up. A real caller will leave a voice mail. Like I mentioned earlier, if the same bogus number calls again more than 3 or 4 times I block it.
On Monday, November 30, 2015 at 12:04:10 PM UTC-8, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

If the FCC started issuing $1000 fines per call to any telecom allowing these scammers to use their services, those calls would be eliminated by the next day
Per snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com:

Also my inner cynic thinks that if Rachel-from-Card-Services were threatening a politician above a certain level in the pecking order, the people behind her would be in custody within 72 hours.
--
Pete Cresswell

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes:

I'd settle for blocks put on any call with a forged originating number or caller id. I suppose that would be some mandatory government prescribed equipment upgrades. Not sure how that would be perceived. There's probably some lobby that insists they need to make number and ID faked calls.
To give the US government some credit, they did come up with the do not call list, which worked pretty well for a while. They've also fined a few of the miscreants. A few times they've solicited input from the general public for advice on a fix. Recently they ruled that nomorobo is not violating any laws.
I suppose with terrorists blowing things up and shooting civilians this isn't the governments highest priority.
--
Dan Espen

On 12/1/2015 12:50 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

From what I read on Facebook, global climate change is the Obama admin highest priority.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

That begets a slippery slope. If I do something using my internet connection, should my ISP be financially liable?
The market driven solution is to provide a service whereby the caller is CHARGED to place a call to a phone number. The CALLEE (and only the callee) can elect to issue a CREDIT for each call he is willing to ACCEPT.
So, I have an incentive to answer the phone -- I get a "cut" out of the charge! The phone company has an incentive -- they get a cut, too!
Friends calling would obviously result in your pressing the "CREDIT button". Telemarketers would be desperate to get you to do so -- they simply couldn't stay afloat if they had to PAY (you!) for every call! Even if it was something as trivial as 10c!
Per Don Y:

That sounds like an upside to the European practice of billing the caller for cell phone airtime.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 12/01/2015 01:51 PM, Don Y wrote:
[snip]

Mostly sounds good. What happens when friends call and you're not home?
--
24 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
On 12/1/2015 7:04 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Don't answer?
Dunno. But, perhaps I've got too much of the "commerce economy" mindset; I think in terms of prices to drive behaviors (instead of hoping for compliance with "laws").
On Monday, November 30, 2015 at 2:04:10 PM UTC-6, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

You can get rid of most junk callers by using this ringtone.
Record it at the beginning of your message on your answering machine.
(I edited out the voice from the ringtone.)
http://www.mytinyphone.com/ringtone/3101827/
Andy
On Tue, 1 Dec 2015 17:07:05 -0800 (PST), Andy

I wondered if that worked myself. It probably will unhook a robo call but they don't usually talk to a machine anyway.
Per Andy:

It that's the SIT tone for "Number not in service", I've been using it for several years.
Can't comment specifically on it's effectiveness because I don't have another number without it to compare.... but I do know that my junk calls have risen from almost zero to about five junk calls for every legit call.
--
Pete Cresswell