Junk : Legitimate Phone Calls - Your Ratio ?

Page 3 of 4
Pete Creswell wrote: "Since the DNC lists became moot a couple of years ago, our junk calls"
What do you mean "became moot"? Is there something I don't know?
Per snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com:

Maybe.... check my later post in the thread.
--
Pete Cresswell

Pete Creswell wrote: "Per snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com:

Maybe.... check my later post in the thread.
--
Pete Cresswell "

What post later in the thread? Don't be a
Per snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com:

"Not Effective".... there appears to be a valid semantic issue around my use of "Moot".
--
Pete Cresswell

card services is the worst.......
they waste my time and are a real PIA...
at least 1/3rd of my calls are spam.

I haven't had any of those calls for several months. My most frequent junk calls these days are,
- solar panels - you have won a free trip the the Bahamas - bogus veterans charity - fake electricity resellers
Per Nil:

Somewhere I heard a news item that the feds finally busted them.
That was at least a month ago...maybe two or three.
But they or somebody with a similar business model are back - just got a call last week.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 12/1/2015 5:27 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Wack-a-mole.
As I said, you can't rely on some "external" force/service to solve this problem. There will always be someone willing to step into their shoes -- a marketing OPPORTUNITY!!

That was the "Rachel from Card Services":
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/rachel-cardholder-services-coughs-refunds/story?id (282514
File now for your $42.95.
This is not the first time the FTC took action against them.
--
Dan Espen

Dan Espen posted for all of us...

So how do I sign up? I've had many calls from her...
--
Tekkie

Pretty sure something on that page will link you to the right place. I've gotten a lot of calls too. Not sure if I'll take the time though...
--
Dan Espen

Or 10 months?
http://consumersunion.org/2015/01/good-news-for-victims-of-rachel-from-cardholder-services-scam/ There’s good news on the way for at least some of the consumers who have been impacted by this scam: The FTC will be sending checks for $42.95 each to 16,590 victims. It’s releasing these checks as a part of its November 2013 settlement with several entities who have engaged in this illegal behavior.
The comments didn't really start until June, and there were several comments just 5 days ago. Very strange.

;-(
On 12/2/2015 1:20 AM, Micky wrote:

Got another robocall from some spammer that said something like this:
"Hello, we're calling from XYZ business and contacting {empty space supposed to be someone's name they never say} to let you know about an issue you may not be aware of regarding your SS#..."
I wish I could find a way to block it!!
--
Maggie

Per Muggles:

I would admonish anybody who let somebody they do not know personally get that far to hang up faster.
Seems to me like an indicator of the total failure of our news media to inform the public is in the wishy-washy advice they give about not doing business with callers before consulting some-authority-or another.
If it were me writing that stuff it would boil down to "Who is calling ? Do I know you ?".... if the caller is unknown, "Click ! ".... no niceties, no civility... just "Click !".
With me, 9 out of 10 times it doesn't even get as far as "Do I know you ?"..... more than about a half-second of silence, and I hang up.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 12/2/2015 1:43 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I don't answer, and almost always let the machine pick it up unless I'm in a "mood" to play with them and then I'll answer, "Pizza hut! Can I take your order? Dine in or carry out? Hello??? click!"
--
Maggie

Per Muggles:

I heard a stand-up comic say something like:
"When I answer, I tell them that I've lost my job, the house is in foreclosure, my wife left me, the 12-year-old daughter is pregnant, my son is addicted to drugs, and the dog died.... and *they* hang up on *me*...
--
Pete Cresswell

On 12/2/2015 2:26 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

LOL Gloom, dispair ... sounds like an old country HeeHaw tune.
--
Maggie

I generally don't hang up on people. I'd say No thanks, Bye.
If it's a charity, I say, Good luck, Bye.
Or maybe, I'm on the Do not call list. Please put me on *your* do not call list. Bye.
Only after they've lied to me or done something similar would I hang up on them.

I can't do that. My phone number for the last 32 years is one number off from a Greek sandwich shop, and callers would just order their food. Despite the fact that the place is open to 2am, I don't think I've ever gotten a call later than 11:30, and only once or twice later than 10, and never when I'm sleeping.
For a long time, when people realized they had the wrong number, 3/4s would hang up without any courtesy, but that changed about 6 or 7 years ago. Now 9 out of 10 apologize, "Sorry" or maybe longer. It's possible I changed to saying "You dialed wrong" then but I don't think I started with that until later.
On 12/2/2015 8:23 PM, Micky wrote:

For some reason I can't get the robo call to say anything to me when I tell it, "Pizza Hut, Can I take your order?"
--
Maggie

On 11/30/2015 11:16 PM, Nil wrote:
[snip]

I get some of those, even though we're in an area where you're not allowed to choose an electricity provider.
BTW, we get lower rates.
--
24 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).