Junk : Legitimate Phone Calls - Your Ratio ?

Page 1 of 4
Since the DNC lists became moot a couple of years ago, our junk calls have increased dramatically - and, so far, I've been too cheap to spring for CallerID and Simultaneous Ring in order to use NoMoRobo...
Last week, I did a count of one day's calls and wound up with five junk calls to one legitimate call.
Is anybody keeping track ?
If so, what's your ratio ?
--
Pete Cresswell

On 11/30/2015 1:04 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

We're currently just letting everything go to an answering machine -- with the ringer turned off. We *know* we receive calls that "fail to leave a message" -- cuz we can see the light come on when the machine detects the incoming ring (if we happen to be looking at it, at the time). We try to remember to check the machine for messages once every day or two.
But, the only *messages* that we get are from "desired callers".
I.e., it seems like having an answering machine is enough to discourage the "spam" -- though not enough to prevent the *attempt* (call without leaving a message).
Earlier, leading up to our local election, we would occasionally get a "robomessage" on the machine -- from someone who couldn't afford live volunteers to place the calls (resorting to a machine, instead).
And, many months (year?) ago, there were frequent messages for "extended automobile warranty" offers -- often one a day! We also caught a "blind" (machine wasn't smart enough to listen for an appropriate time when *it* should start it's spiel but, instead, started babbling as soon as the machine "picked up") call from the IRS scam a few months back.
Bottom line, if you can live with deferred contacts, the answering machine approach seems to work very well at filtering out the folks with whom you don't want to speak (or be disturbed)
On Monday, November 30, 2015 at 2:04:10 PM UTC-6, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Before I got the ProCaller Id I was averaging 5-7 calls per day. The next day it would start all over again with perhaps a new telemarketing company thrown in the mix.
Yes, I could let these go to the answering machine but MOST were hang-ups when the machine picked up. I just got fed up with ring-ring, ring-ring, ring-ring all day long. I'd stop what I was doing to check the caller id to only see something like "ABC" or "XYZ" on the screen or "Unavailable."
Once I had these dumbasses blocked the phone would ring ONCE as the ProCaller would disconnect them. Wasn't but a week or so that I was down to one or two calls per day. When the phone rings once that was my cue it was a blocked number.
Ahhhhhh, peace and quiet.
On Monday, November 30, 2015 at 4:02:27 PM UTC-5, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

I have a new phone number from Ooma as of March. Zero junk calls. Even with my old Verizon number that I had for 20 years, the junk calls were close to zero.
On 11/30/2015 3:04 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I'm not keeping track and also have VoIP and land line phones.
My land line is listed under my name with Sr and I'd say over 90% of the calls are junk. I figure thieves particularly go after seniors.
VoIP phone, with caller ID, I'd say at least 50% junk.
What really pisses me off is that the phone company and government must know where these calls are coming from but don't do anything about it.
Sure, most are out of the country but they could do something like block them or send them back a virus to destroy their computers.
I'm sure I will never see and ISIS terrorist but these phone and internet criminals try to break in my house every day.
Per Frank:

My outgoing non-local/non-800/non-911 all go out via VOIP but my incoming is still POTS.
I am tempted to go 100% VOIP in order to implement Challenge/Response, but am still wary of losing 911 - although I *think* it is still supposed to be there even with the POTS account closed.

Or set up honey traps..... sooner or later, money has to change hands and once it does...
In the case of my state (Penna) I am guessing they made a decision to spend the money on more pressing matters.
OTOH, if the whole thing is offshore (including the money recipients) it would seem like there's nothing to be done.
I am drawn to Challenge/Response because it involves spending less money on my phone service instead of more.
OTOH, the crowdsourcing solutions like NoMoRobo would seem simpler in that they get around the need for a WhiteList that seems to me to be part of a decent Challenge/Response implementation.
--
Pete Cresswell

There was a long story on the radio recently about how cell phones' location is not known to the police department. They may or may not have made reference to VOIP phones. It wa probalby on NPR and probably on the Diane Rehm show drshow.org in the last week, at most two. Two topics per day, 5 days a week, so you should be able to find it. Very user-friendly webpage, that plays well.

Micky wrote:

What do you mean moot? The list is as good as it ever was.

I have copper and IIRC nomorobo required FIOS to work, or something like that. I don't have caller-id either.

Not in detail.

I get maybe one junk call a day. I always answer the phone if I"m here, and I hang up when I see it's junk. If they're raising money for the volunteer fire department, I say Good Luck and Goodbye.
I used to loads of calls from cardholder services, some sort of scam.
I rerecorded my outgoing message so that it plays ooo-eee-ooo before my message. The web says that spammers are wise to this and ignore it now , but you remind me that they never call anymore. Maybe it's just normal rotation and they'll be back.

Most of the scam calls seem to come from India or some such place. They don't pay any attention to the Do Not Call list since there is no way to go after them for violations. I don't get too many of those calls, maybe a few per month.
When I have time I have some fun with them, particularly the "Windows Support" scam. I'll let them loose inside a Linux virtual machine and watch them fumble around. (Most of them use Teamviewer for remote access which is cross-platform.) Or I'll just play dumb and tell them that nothing they're telling me to do is working. (One didn't even get it even when I was reading "Ubuntu Linux" from the startup screen!)
Once they know they've been "had" usually I wind up responding to them, "Is that the kind of language that a professional from Windows Support would use?" and they hang up.
Then there's the scam where they say they're from the IRS and if they don't get immediate payment they're sending the police to make an arrest. I just tell them, "go ahead, I'll wait here by the door for them." Maybe on the next one I'll just tell them I went out and sent the money via Western Union and let them scramble to go get it.
Of course I don't have time to play I'll just hang up on them.

That's a good one!

"I already did. Check your records." Maybe that's not good.
How about "He told me there would be no charge."
blah-blah
"You're going back on your co-workers promise?"
Per Micky:

Maybe in your state, but not in Pennsylvania. I have given up on reporting violations but I have more than half-dozen lame-sounding letters from the DA's office to show for the ones I have reported.
Two snips from the letters:
"...multiple telephone service providers and sophisticated internet technology to make and relay the calls several times before reaching a consumer. This type of service enables those sending the messages to use hundreds, or even thousands, of numbers to hide the source of the solicitation...."
and
"Many of these numbers are provided by telephone service providers located outside the United States. As a result, local carriers generally are not able to track or provide information regarding a specific call or the specific subscriber. Also, foreign telephone carriers generally are not subject to State or Federal jurisdiction."
--
Pete Cresswell

alt.home.repair:

I've been keeping track, logging all junk calls on a spreadsheet for about 3 years. My goal has been to try to detect patters so I can block numbers, and I'm curious to know who (that is what type of scammer) is calling. I haven't totaled things up in the way you're asking, but I can get as many as 20 - 30 calls per month, though that number can arbitrarily go down some months. February and August of this year were unusually high. I don't think there's any connection between the DNC list and number of junk calls.
Who says the DNC list is "moot"?
On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 19:31:34 -0500, Nil
Anyone who ever filed a complaint or 50. Virtually all of my calls are junk.
On 30 Nov 2015, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in alt.home.repair:

That doesn't mean much. The DNC is only respected by honest American business callers. Complaints only affect them, and I believe it has been effective as far as that goes - I get no telemarketing calls from legit companies. Junk callers may or may not be calling from within the country, but in any case they are calling via the Internet, making their real location almost impossible to trace.
The DNC is no more moot than it ever was. There are just a lot more scammers who know how to operate without being caught.
On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 20:04:07 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I"m sure that's true, but the number of spam calls I get went down tremendously when DNC started and it's still down. So it got rid of the people who obey the law, and that was the vast majority of the callers.
It's really just cardholder services (which has stopped at least for now) and one other I forget, I guess because they stopped too.
Side story, tonight I was in the other room and heard the phone ringing, but the cordless phone next to me didn't ring. When I tried to answer on the cordless, it said "Out of Range". It was up to 10 rings or more by the time I got to the other room, and no one was there when I picked up. Maybe they had just hung up.
Then I noticed the screen of the base station was blank, and the power cord was unplugged. This also must explain why the ringer sound of the base station had changed -- it was ringing on phone company power only. I should have have noticed that and known the power was unplugged.
I *69'd and it was someone in Georgia. I pressed 1 to call them, reluctantly because I thought it was spam, but I got a busy signal. They probably misdialed someone who should have been home, and probably were calling another number by the time I called.
Per Micky:

Same here for maybe a year or two.... maybe even more.
I even got a thirty-some-dollar check from the DA's office as part of the settlement in a case against one of the guys I reported.
But, for at the last two years - maybe more, the DNC list has been moot.
Somebody might mince semantics about what "moot" really means.... but the bottom line is that I now get five junk calls for every legit call and that spells "Moot" to me...
--
Pete Cresswell

Yes. I don't think you're using it right.
Plus..

I thought you were going to say "moot for me" or "in my case", but you continue to sound like because it doesn't work for you it doesn't work for anyone.
Per Micky:

I'll take that....
My assumption being that those not getting my volume of junk calls are not getting them for some other reason than the DNC lists.
It's like the old joke where a guy is walking around Manhattan blowing a whistle.
"Why are you blowing that whistle ?"
"To keep the wild elephants away."
"But the nearest wild elephants are in Africa."
--
Pete Cresswell

As I said before, I used to get a lot of spam calls before the DNC but it went down and stayed down.
I did get my first or second call about electric rates today. The combination of all the background noise at his end, and his accent, I couldn't understand most of what he said. There really is the option now to change companies, and he might be for real. But apparently the cheapest rate-giver changes weekly so it doesn't seem worth it. One guy came around in person 15 months ago. They're all taught a pitch which is too demanding. "Let me see your electric bill." Who, you?