Junction boxes not permitted in attic?

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Who cares????
--

Tekkie

posted for all of us... : I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom. : : > Greetings, : > : > I called again and spoke with Julie. All inspectors are out. I left : > another message with Rick. : > : > William : > : > : Who cares???? : -- : : Tekkie I do
Greetings,
I called in this morning and spoke with Julie. I asked her why no one had called me back and she said that she didn't know. She suggested that I call back today between 3 and 4. I called back at 3 pm (Bloomington time) exactly and asked to speak with an inspector. I was transferred to "Rick" who said that he didn't get my messages. I told him that this episode was being discussed / broadcast on the World Wide Web. It turns out I was speaking with "Rick Soderstrom" and "Rick Butterfield" was the one who I left messages for. Rick S. seemed willing to help in any way that he could and was entirely reasonable. He told me that he didn't know about the informational sheet but that he would look it up and get back to me in the next couple of days. He said that you could have boxes in the attic but that the attic should not be used as a central wiring junction area. He was also sure to point out that some attics are not accessable and therefore the rules for accessable boxes would not apply.
Hope this helps, William
Greetings,
Summery / Clarification: If your attic is not accessible you cannot put a junction box there. If your attic is accessible you must minimize the number of junction boxes there.
Hope this helps, William
snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com wrote:

Gee, that's kind of anticlimactic. I was hoping for some kind of vast conspiracy and/or coverup. ;-) Thanks for the update anyway.
Best regards, Bob
Pop posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Take your love affair to email.
--

Tekkie

What is this about? Of course junction boxes are allowed in an attic. This assumes the attic has access to it, of course.
snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com wrote:

Phil Munro wrote:

A code description document apparently documenting local requirements in addition to NEC in the OPs locale...somewhere in MN, Istr??? There was a link to it somewhere early on in the thread--apparently this document does actually say this from others' comments alto I didn't go look myself.
On 08/11/05 01:14 pm Phil Munro tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

This whole thread originated with my question about the legality of junction boxes in attics, based on the City of Bloomington, MN's "Circuits and Wiring Information Sheet" for DIYers:
http://www.ci.bloomington.mn.us/handouts/53qcircuits.pdf
Page 1, right-hand column, under heading "Junction Boxes":
"Do not install junction boxes in the attic or conceal them in walls."
Perce
Perce,
At the top it says "Information sheet." At the bottom it says "This handout is a guide." An information sheet or guide is not synonymous with "the code," in my understanding of English. Also, since the operative sentence refers to canceled walls I believe the writer also meant "concealed ceilings." If you ever get to talk to someone I'd ask if there was an applicable CODE that you can look at. He will probably say NEC.
Take all of this with a grain of salt, as I am far away from Bloomington.
Ed

walls."
On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 12:35:50 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

It must be some local yokel rule. The NEC only requires that boxes be accessible without disturbing the building finish.