Junction Box Trouble Part II

I posted about a week ago that I had found a junction box with five wires going to it behind the bathtub in the second floor bathroom I am remodeling. I was able to completely remove three of the wires and still had two that were providing power all the way to the other end of the house.
One wire provided power to the kitchen lights on the first floor. I was able to remove a couple of floor planks at the point just above the stairs and pull that wire through and wound up with a long enough wire to route it through the wall by the stairs all the way to the basement and install a new junction box there that is not hidden.
The other wire provides power to a couple of outlets in the kitchen and the flood light to the back yard. I found where it runs down into the first floor wall but it does not come out into the basement so I had no idea how it was routed to the other side of the house. There was another wire there too that was not hooked up to the old junction box that I had no way of knowing what it was for.
I wound up opening a hole in the drywall near the ceiling on the first floor to see where the wire went. I found another junction box there and all it did was hook up the wire I was tracing to the other wire that went back up under the bathtub and into the wall behind the bathtub.
I removed the new junction box and pulled the wire all the way back to behind the bathtub and wound up with a long enough wire to run through the wall into the next room where I can hook it up to an outlet there that is on it's own circuit.
I was not able to remove all of the old wire but at least there are no more hidden junction boxes on those circuits and I was able to break up a larger circuit into two separate circuits.
If I ever get the time to re-do the kitchen ceiling I can get rid of pretty much all of the old wire left in the house. But it will have to do for now.
David

Wow! You did a great job of fixing some real screw-ups by a previous owner. Hidden junction boxes of course are illegal, but there are still some idiots who will use them instead of buying a long enough wire to eliminate the need for a splice. At least they used a box and didn't just splice the wires inside a wall cavity.
On 9/5/2010 10:40 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Heh. Found a couple of those floating butt splices (so far) in this place. If previous owner had been in beating range at the time, I would have been in jail. I still need to rewire the basement fluorescent fixtures, where he 'connected' them by beating the ends of the romex leads flat, and plugging them into the ceiling outlets. Didn't see that (and neither did the so-called inspector), until I popped some tiles loose, looking for a path to run a wire to add a stairwell light. Been that way for years, and I never leave them on when I am not down there, so decided not to disturb them until I have all the parts and the ambition to redo it properly.
--
aem sends...

(aemeijers) writes:
| Heh. Found a couple of those floating butt splices (so far) in this | place. If previous owner had been in beating range at the time, I would | have been in jail. I still need to rewire the basement fluorescent | fixtures, where he 'connected' them by beating the ends of the romex | leads flat, and plugging them into the ceiling outlets. Didn't see that | (and neither did the so-called inspector), until I popped some tiles | loose, looking for a path to run a wire to add a stairwell light. Been | that way for years, and I never leave them on when I am not down there, | so decided not to disturb them until I have all the parts and the | ambition to redo it properly.
I found something in the basement of the house I bought which, while certainly not difficult to remove, was at least as disturbing. Hanging down from the ceiling and almost to the floor was a lamp cord with a plug. The cord disappeared among the clutter in the ceiling. When I finally got around to following the cord I found that it ran across the ceiling to where it terminated on another plug which was plugged in to the outlet on an (always live) ceramic lampholder. The previous owners had little children too...
On Sep 6, 3:13pm, ddl@danlan.*com (Dan Lanciani) wrote:

Maybe he always kept a bulb in the low0hanging socket.
snipped-for-privacy@att.net (hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net) writes: | On Sep 6, 3:13pm, ddl@danlan.*com (Dan Lanciani) wrote:
> [...]
It wasn't a socket; it was a plug. Both ends of the lamp cord had plugs.
On 9/6/2010 7:52 PM, Dan Lanciani wrote:

The ceramic lampholder probably had a twin at the first end of the basement, and he was backfeeding it with a suicide cord, since he didn't know how to, or care to, wire it properly. I've found lamp sockets screwed directly to joists, or high on the wall in sheds, powered by zip cord stapled to the wood and run under the round porcelain.
--
aem sends...

Sounds like an interrogation tool. Did you buy a former CIA rendition house?
-- Bobby G.

Sounds like you handled the situation completely and correctly. Good DIY!
Most of the regulars do appreciate the closure of a post like yours. It is always nice to know the results.
--
Colbyt