jumping power from a 3 way switch to a single-pole switch

Page 1 of 2  
Okay, I have what I think is a strange occurrence, and I'll do my best to explain.
I'm trying to jump power from one of my 3-way switches that turns on my kitchen lights to another switch that will control my under the cabinet lights. Since I believe the switch I'm trying to get power to is not the one that is directly getting power from a power source, but rather is getting the power from the traveler (red) wire. So, what I did was pigtail the power from the traveler to the switch that runs the under the cabinet lights. I have yet to wire the undercabinet lights, but that switch seems to be wired fine. (There is one hot that is always hot, and the blacking going to the lights [or what will eventually be lights] is live when I flip the switch.)
Now the strange occurrence is my 3-way switches. The one I did not jump the power to has to be up for the other switch to work. If it is down, the one I jumped power to does not work. Part of me thinks it's because I have not wired the cabinet lights yet. Could that be what is causing this strange occurrence? (I'm asking now before I climb up into the attic to try this, in case there is something I'm missing.)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Correct, this is what I want to be able to do. Is not having a neutral going to cause any potential problems?

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wow, it almost sounds like you're calling me both lazy and stupid? Is that the case? Maybe a bit lost, but I've never been called lazy and stupid (and especially in the same sentence).
We've done 90% of our home remolding ourselves (and trust me, it's not a fresh coat of paint). We've removed walls, raised ceilings, tiled a countertop, etc. Rewired lights, added lights, etc. So, I guess you can see why I take offense to you calling me lazy and stupid.
BTW, I know exactly what wires are going to which switches, etc. Did I ever say I didn't?
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

There's a solution below, once you've decided to treat your house wiring with the respect it deserves, but first, a little vitriol:
If you can't draw what wires go where and figure out what the attached lights are going to do with each flip of a switch, you shouldn't be messing with house-wiring in the first place. This isn't because it's beyond your capabilities. It's not all that complicated. It's because you are manifestly being both lazy and sloppy. If you weren't lazy, you have figured out how the existing set-up worked, and you wouldn't currently be confused about what had gone wrong. If you weren't sloppy, you wouldn't have lost track of the wires. Lazy and sloppy is worse than stupid, when you're doing house wiring. Now you're GUESSING what you did wrong, and hoping that another more or less random change will make it right. And that *IS* stupid. </Vitriol>
In this case, you can't do what you're trying to do, because NONE of the wires at the second switch in a two-switch system are always hot.
I suspect that you've swapped the colored wire from the cable that runs to the existing light fixture with the wire of the same color from the cable that comes from the first switch.
--Goedjn
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
replying to Goedjn, Joseph wrote: What it sounds like to me is you can't answer a question so instead your belittling they guy asking the question .. THAT! Makes you an asshole
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11/17/16 3:14 PM, Joseph wrote:

The HomeMoaners post that Joseph responded to was ELEVEN years old !!!!!!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Oren posted for all of us...

That is smelly by now.
--
Tekkie

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I guess that is what confused me, because we checked all the wires, and the red to the other two way (the one that the load was not going into) was hot at all times, even when we turned either of the two-way switches on and/or off. Wiring like I have, the new switch seems to be fine. That is, it is getting power in and power out. but now the two way switches are acting odd (i.e., one needs to be on for the other two work).

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload


Remember that at any given moment, only one of the two travellers has power. Which traveller has power is determined _only_ by the 3-way that's attached to unswitched power (the "line 3-way", as opposed to "load 3-way").

If you use a simple two way switch to "tap" off a 3 way circuit traveller, the 2-way switch will only see power when the "line 3-way" switch is the position that energizes the traveler the 2-way is on - when it's in the other position, the traveller connected to the 2-way won't ever see power, and hence the light is unconditionally off.
You can "improve" the situation by replacing the 2-way with a 3-way (the legs connected to the travellers, the center contact to its load), but you'll end up in a potential insanity-inducing situation. Ie: label your switches A, B and C. A is the load-connected 3-way switch for one bank of lights, B the load-connected 3-way switch for the other bank, and C being the line-connected 3-way switch. In one B setting, C will turn both banks on and off simultaneously. In the other B setting, toggling C will swap which bank is on.
I think that'll drive you insane ;-)
[You'd have a "Y"'d two-way. The center switch (the load 3-way), alternates with the switch on _each_ leg. Ick!]
I _assume_ you want your undercabinet light to be switch on-able only when the main overheads are on. So that if you turn off the overheads, the undercabinet will go off. To do this, you need to connect the 2-way switch to the switched hot going to the overhead mains, not the travellers.
Depending on the layout, simply attaching the 2-way switch to the center conductor (probably white if it's 12/3 or 14/3) will get you the appropriate hot, but you won't have a neutral for the undercabinet fixture. Or, vice-versa.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
It\'s not just anyone who gets a Starship Cruiser class named after them.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
replying to Chris Lewis, Alexcwt wrote: I assume you want the undercabinet light to be independent of overhead light.
You can add a small 120v (coil) SPDT relay to create an always hot wire. It would draw a small amount of power when it's in the close position but save you the need to run another wire in the wall to the switch.
The con: it's going to make a click sound every time either of the 3 way switch is flicked.
Please check your local code before doing this.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You mean other than the light not working?
I know what you're trying to do, and it's easy enough to sketch out, but with no neutral, you're out of luck. If you DO find a neutral, make sure it's from the same circuit that feeds your 3-way.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload


Another way of putting it: lightbulbs need an electron goesinta and an electron goesouta. Without the neutral you don't got a goesouta. ;-)
[Note to the pedantic: with AC, you still need a goesinta and a goesouta, but they switch roles 60 times per second. With one wire, you don't have a goesinta and a goesouta at the same time ;-)]

Best way to do this is to tap the hot and neutral directly off the already-3-wayed kitchen fixture leads.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
It\'s not just anyone who gets a Starship Cruiser class named after them.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
JK, You don't want to use the traveller. The hot to your 3 way, if it is the one fed by your breaker should be hot all the time no matter what position you put either 3-way in. It will probably be, should be the black wire, and the travellers will probalby be red and white(white being recoded black). Depending on the layout you may or may not have the neutral running through the same switch box. Check to make sure the neutral is pigtailed in THAT box

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Thanks for the tips!
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Dude
You are going about this all wrong and using the wrong tools. You only need two tools. One is called a telephone, the other is called the Yellow Pages. Open the yellow pages, go to the "E" pages and look up the word "Electrician". Call one of them and hire them before you electricute yourself or burn down the house.
The reason they have professionals is because no one else, especially idiots like yourself, should be touching wiring, or for that matter, plumbing, paint, lumber, concrete, or anything. Any tool beyond a telephone, phone book, and pen and paper are beyond your ability to use. Let the professionals do all your work for you, unless you have some sort of suicidal tendencies or are trying to ignite your house for insurance purposes, in which case you belong in prison before you destroy your whole family in the inferno you are about to create.
Before you even touch another wire, call the fire department and warn them of the impending fire you are about to experience. Then call any electrician in the Yellow Pages, and tell them to immediately come to your home and shut off the breakers for you, until you can get them to rewire and inspect everything you touched. Do not delay. call immediately. Your home is on the verge of a flare up. By the time you read this message, it may be too late. If you had posted your address, I would have already phoned the Fire Department for you.
Shut off your computer NOW, and call for help. You may already be smelling smoke. In fact, dont use your own home phone. Get out of that house NOW. Take your family outside and use your cell phone or a neighbors home to call the Fire Department. GET OUT NOW !!!
If you survive this fire, DO NOT ever touch wiring again. It is extremely complicated, and you are incapable of doing wiring. Besides that, it's illegal to touch wiring without an electricians license.
GO - GET OUT OF THERE............
Jack

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Doug, I'm really trying not to read anything into your numerous posts because there is an obvious communication gap between my posts and the various responses. But you come off as being a bit of a know it all.
No, I'm not a professional, but I have a decent understanding of electrical. (I was trying to figure out what Chris was saying, that's all (when I originally read it, I thought he was saying I didn't need to have a neutral, which is why I asked [it raised a red flag]...don't assume that I'm experimenting, I've never wired anything without double- and triple checking everything, and being 100% certain I have it wired correctly.)

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
JK wrote:

....
No, there isn't. You really apparently <don't> know what's going on here. I'm not going to say you're absolutely going to burn the house down, but it simply isn't going to work to do what you started out trying to do as others have already pointed out.
Either get a pro in to solve this by getting a hot feed from whereever this pair gets its feed or run another circuit or extend another hot feed to where you need it.
Although, given the obvious lack of knowledge wrt to wiring despite what other reconstruction you've done, the use of an electrician to handle this part of the project would undoubtedly be money well spent letting you do other things.
If this is still a continuing project, I'd suggest you look into finishing all else up to the point of closing in walls and then get a guy in once to take care of it all rather than a switch at a time...
IMO, YMMV, $0.02, etc., ...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

In that case, the problem you presented in the original post is ficticious, right?
You can't do, by any normal means, the thing that you said you were trying to accomplish, which is to take an always-on supply feed to another switch from the box containing the second switch in a 2-switch system.
If you understood what you were doing, you'd have known that before you tried.
You can't GET the results you are claiming to get without changing things that you are claiming not to have changed.
I understand that you're sure you know what you've done. That's the problem. You ARE sure, and you're wrong.
--Goedjn
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Ha ha! That's a good one!
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

He may not have phrased his advice in a very diplomatic manner, but it was good advice: you clearly don't understand the first thing about what you are trying to do. You gave a crystal-clear demonstration of that, when you asked Chris Lewis if not having a neutral would cause any problems. Anyone who has to ask that question has NO BUSINESS working with electricity because he knows NOTHING about it.
It's no big deal if you paint your house without knowing what you're doing; all that happens if you screw up is you wind up with an ugly- looking house. But if you screw up electrical wiring because you don't know how to do it right -- AND YOU DON'T -- you can electrocute someone, or burn your house down.
Screwed-up electrical work can KILL.
You don't have the knowledge or skills to do it without screwing it up.
PLEASE call a professional.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.