July 9 virus information - what it is & what to do

Page 2 of 2
On 4/24/2012 1:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

click it and find out. I did. it's just another bullshit hoax site.
--
Steve Barker
Shazzam. Might be true, even? http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2011/november/malware_110911 Sounds nasty, for sure.
"Bob-tx" <Live Spam free> wrote in message
Probably everyone has heard about the virus that takes you off the internet on July 9. It has been in many papers and on news casts.
Here is an article from Ask Leo, about this problem, and what to do about it. If you haven't read it, it may be of interest to you.
http://ask-leo.com/will_i_lose_internet_access_in_july.html?awt_l=PFEqF&awt_m=J3l.6rPZ9ZdfbL
Bob

http://ask-leo.com/will_i_lose_internet_access_in_july.html?awt_l=PFEqF&awt_m=J3l.6rPZ9ZdfbL
If you don't at least check, you may find out on July 9.
Bob-tx
On 4/24/2012 1:00 PM, Bob-tx wrote:

http://ask-leo.com/will_i_lose_internet_access_in_july.html?awt_l=PFEqF&awt_m=J3l.6rPZ9ZdfbL
<http://ask-leo.com/will_i_lose_internet_access_in_july.html?awt_l=PFEqF&awt_m=J3l.6rPZ9ZdfbL
LMAO!! I'll take as much precaution as i have with the other fifty million hoaxes that have come across.
--
Steve Barker
Steve Barker wrote:

Not a hoax.
www.fbi.gov/DNS-changer-malware.pdf
--

We are spirtual beings having a Human Experience. - Oprah Winfrey

Oren wrote:

Now check for an FBI cookie, the persistent kind.
Here is a better way to check: http://www.avira.com/files/support/FAQ_KB_Download_Files/EN/AviraDNSRepairEN.exe
--

We are spirtual beings having a Human Experience. - Oprah Winfrey

Oren wrote:

Are you serious? Look at the filename.
--

On 4/24/2012 2:41 PM, G. Morgan wrote:

http://www.avira.com/files/support/FAQ_KB_Download_Files/EN/AviraDNSRepairEN.exe
translates www.avira.com to an IP address and sends you somewhere else that's bad. So, you click on a link to an executable that uses this compromised translation process to get the file.
Am I the only one who sees the irony in this?
This may be an actual problem. Some percentage of the links that get clicked may fix it. If I were a virus writer, I'd jump on this and laugh my ass off.
What if you just wait for your internet to go away and then stick in the DNS number off the paper that came with your isp contract?
And why didn't the FBI just have the offending DNS IP addresses aliased to REAL DNS IP addresses. Problem Solved.
This may not be a duck, but it sure quacks like one. And I'd bet that there are a lot of little ducklings lurking about.
mike wrote:

Lol... didn't think of that. Here ya go: http://62.146.210.54/files/support/FAQ_KB_Download_Files/EN/AviraDNSRepairEN.exe

They did. They turned all the rogue DNS servers into correct routing ones. Now they want to get out of the DNS business and go back to whatever they do.

If you say so.
--

We are spirtual beings having a Human Experience. - Oprah Winfrey

SOP is -
Avira DNS Repair-Tool Free Avira-Tool which repairs your Windows-System from possible damages that the DNS-Changer malware may have caused. http://www.avira.com/en/downloads#tools
On 4/25/2012 6:15 AM, G. Morgan wrote:

http://62.146.210.54/files/support/FAQ_KB_Download_Files/EN/AviraDNSRepairEN.exe That still doesn't help. I don't know where that address takes me. Yes, I could look it up... You're asking me to trust you. I don't know who you are or whether you are who you say you are. That's the crux of social engineering. The bad guy isn't gonna say, "I'm here to screw you if you push this button." Successful scams never sound like scams.
What's worse is that google gives you a zillion hits from a zillion places about this issue and what to click to fix it. Don't know if most people watch the bottom line of their browser, but many links take you to a place that's different from what the link text says. And how many of us pay close enough attention that they'd notice a link to Avria.com??
This scare is a perfect opportunity to spread more malware.
What I actually did was boot a system built since the problem was fixed, went to avira, navigated to the tool, downloaded and ran it. Still haven't tried it on the main machine.
But, I have a question about how the malware works. ipconfig /all tells me where my dns servers are. If I were infected, would that show up in ipconfig? And if it did, and I put them back to the correct values, would the malware still be running and corrupt them again? And, if so, why didn't my Avira AV suite cure the malware already and warn me to check my DNS addresses?

I'm not buying it. All those bad ip addresses are currently assigned to some real DNS server. The FBI doesn't have to have any influence or responsibility for the server. Why can't they, or why didn't they, map all those bad addresses to one of the public DNS servers out there and be done with it??? I shouldn't have to know or care.
This all sounds too perfect. Bad Estonians, good FBI, OMG internet is goin' away, I'm here to help.... Sounds more like a Saturday morning cartoon.
I expect more people will be hurt by this scare than will be saved from it. Reminds me, I'm goin over to my neighbor's house to see if his Y2K generator will still start.

mike wrote:

Ask in alt.privacy.spyware,alt.comp.anti-virus cross posted.
There is discussion about it now in those groups.
--
Why is Cloud 9 so amazing? What is wrong with Cloud 8? That joke
came off the top of my head, and the top of my head ain't funny! -Mitch Hedberg

sound either.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in wrote:

Jabut.. cliking on funny links from shady alarmists is likely to install the virus for you..... I will wait for Avast to stomp on bad things.
On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 13:00:57 -0500, "Bob-tx" <Live Spam free> wrote:

Not a problem. The world will be ending on December 21, 2012 anyhow. It will end regardless if you have internet access or not. The only bad thing is that you wont be able to click the "Like" button on Facebook as the world explodes. (Or did Facebook make a "Dislike" button for the end of the world?)