July 9 virus information - what it is & what to do

Page 1 of 2

Probably everyone has heard about the virus that takes you off the internet on July 9. It has been in many papers and on news casts.
Here is an article from Ask Leo, about this problem, and what to do about it. If you haven't read it, it may be of interest to you.
http://ask-leo.com/will_i_lose_internet_access_in_july.html?awt_l=PFEqF&awt_m=J3l.6rPZ9ZdfbL
Bob
"Bob-tx" <Live Spam free> wrote:

just get a mac
Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds wrote:

...and be dependent on the deny, delay and surreptitiously patch scrApple for fixes to mac viruses...

what mac viruses?

You really don't expect Malformed to keep up, do you?

oh, krow, that was so cute...but wrong as usual

That isn't a virus, which by definition can spread on its own. It is a Trojan Horse, which in the OSX Universe requires the computer's owner to actively okay the addition of the TH.

exactly, but krow is so hard to educate

The tip of the iceberg. You WILL see more apple (and unix) virus infections in the future.

it's not a virus. to be a virus it has to be self-propagating and it isn't

all viruses are malware, but not all malware is a virus. for this one, all a mac user had to do was deactivate javascript which is basically not needed on a day to day basis anyway

Actually all they had to do was to not press OK when the OS asked if it was okay to install it.

absolutely

in fact all a mac user has to do is disable javascript or download apples latest version...either option will disable the malware
On Apr 24, 2:18pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-

<snip>
Back in November, law enforcement authorities working with the Federal Bureau of Investigation arrested six of the seven individuals in Estonia responsible for infecting millions of Windows and Mac machines worldwide with the DNSChanger Trojan
<snip>

yes, Trojan, not virus. I don't know if krow knows the difference
On Apr 24, 2:00pm, "Bob-tx" <Live Spam free> wrote:

How do I know that the DNS Changer Working Group link will take me to a legitimate site? ;-)
Yow, that's probably the link that's spreading the infection.

How do I know that the DNS Changer Working Group link will take me to a legitimate site? ;-)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

If you trust the government: www.dcwg.org/detect/
Otherwise, all the major A/V have free scanners just Google them:
http://www.google.com/search?q=dns+changer+malware+detection&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
--

We are spirtual beings having a Human Experience. - Oprah Winfrey

I was kidding.