JOKE: How many alt.hvac "experts" does it take to screw in a light bulb

Page 3 of 4

blueman3333 wrote:

That's funny stuff, blueman, and I understand what drove you to write it. Careful who you trash, though. It's not like that for an entire trade. In fact, I'd venture to say that most aren't like that, but that's not based on much more than a hunch. People on newsgroups like to know a lot of things and also like to be right when the other guy is wrong. You can read though some of the flame wars to see that. In fact, it's why I post when I do - it's just fun being the expert sometimes.
People in newsgroups, however, aren't a good sampling of the population at large. My wife wanted a digital programmable thermostat to replace the original one on her heat pump at her business. Replacing a thermostat is something I've done a million times -- couple low voltage wires and a few screws. No fuss no muss.
The next day when the HVAC guy came out to replace the inverter(?) I blew by crossing two hot wires; he couldn't have been nicer about it. "Happens all the time," he explained. "They should print warnings - you had no way to know. Next time, just call us first before altering the system. I can tell you what to watch out for over the phone." He worked quickly, only charged a modest fee above the cost of the part ($80 for the visit or something like that), and was on his way. The encounter left me feeling a bit better as I walked around putting the space heaters away.
blueman3333 wrote:

You are absolutely right -- My sarcasm is really only aimed at the bad apples who seem to disproportionately hang out in alt.hvac. I have nothing against any fine professional of any trade. In fact, I'm sure given our old house that I pay more than my fair share of service bills; however, I do like to fix the small and relatively simple things myself, saving my service dollars for the bigger jobs that I cannot or do not want to do myself. However, in the alt.hvac reality that seems to be some type of heinous crime :)
blueman wrote:

Cross post to alt.hvac removed.
Please don't start a flame war between AHR and the flex duct boys in alt.hvac by crossposting to this NG. The unwritten rule has been that they don't piss in our sandbox and we don't piss in their's. It's a given that alt.hvac is _the_ asshole of Usenet. If you have a beef with _them_, stop posting about it in AHR and take it to their worthless NG. If you want a good laugh, though, check out the posts in alt.hvac for last June, 2006 when they pissed off the wrong "homemoaner." I don't have anything good to say about them other than I do respect the fact that they don't come over here and stir things up.
writes:

No, that would be comp.lang.c, alt.hvac is the stuff that comes out of the asshole. Please try to keep it straight.
If you have a beef

Just out of curiousity, please explain the referenceto comp.lang.c Thanks

Point taken... Would love to ook up the June 2006 post if it is funny. Any link or keywords to search on -- there are something like 20K posts archived in Google for June 2006 -- most seem to be spam (or maybe that is what you mean by pissing off the wrong homeowner)...
Thanks
blueman wrote:

Yep, 27,299 posts to be exact. Sorry, I forgot that the NG was rendered useless for awhile and it's almost impossible to sort it all out. The "group polution" thread might be a good place to start:
http://tinyurl.com/37mg7p

In your case, it would be prudent to take a night school course in light- bulb extraction...
--
Respectfully, Bob

Gerbil extraction would be better in his case..

Bob_Loblaw posted for all of us...

Nahh, I'll let you take it out of your ass yourself
blueman3333 posted for all of us...

A: Only one with this many personalities and no meds.

So, are you the guy that paid $80 to an HVAC technician to change your furnace filter?

No -- i think that was someone else...

    Your asshole brother.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com /

Did you stay up all night thinking of that line?

Then tell us what little task your HVAC technician did for you that pissed you off.
posted for all of us...

like I got no vector - no research assholes.

Really you need to learn how to follow a thread. I never had an HVAC technician perform a task that pissed me off. Personally, in real life, I have had pretty decent experiences.
These "light bulb" jokes are aimed only at the boorish misfits who inhabit alt.hvac and seem to have nothing better to do than attack any well-intentioned homeowner who happens to post in "their" newsgroup.
I think you will find that each of the items is a near exact quote from what one of the regulars posted in response to a question I asked last week.