JOKE: How many alt.hvac "experts" does it take to screw in a light bulb

Page 2 of 4

It does make one wonder how someone so busy working and making all that money has time to read and follow all these posts on the Internet newsgroups.
It doesn't make me wonder at all, though.
I guess they prefer blogging to fishing or titty bars.
O gawd. Now I wonder about their sexual orientation ............. Not going to titty bars and defending their "bubba"hood.......
Steve

That handful of individuals are collectively about as sharp as a marble. :-)
Best Regards, -- Todd H. http://toddh.net /

You have a higher opinion than I do.................
writes:

Oh shit... We have another self-appointed Internet Superstar here to tell us how Al Gore invented the internet...
Go away asshole.
blueman3333 wrote:

    You forgot the one about:
    If you sought out opinions and recommendations of others so that you hired a "Qualified and reputable technician," it is YOUR fault if HE does crummy work. After all, YOU should not have fallen for those recommendations or HIS promises!!! Least of all, You should NOT have posted in a news group populated by professionals so that you don't make such a mistake.
    I guess you should have used a Ouija board? (To those who try to be helpful, you ARE appreciated.) Unfortunately there are not enough of you in this NG. It is no wonder homeowners are willing to try to fix their own systems before calling a pro. They have little confidence in being treated fairly, and many of the "Pros" in this NG explain why that is the case. All one has to do is read how some of them sell items not needed or charge for items not delivered.

Actually all one needs to to is find a Pro, and not the lowest bidder, or the one with the biggest company ,or the biggest YP ad. Is the actual technician doing the work a certified Master (or even jorneyman)Technician?? Is he/she Nate certified?? When was the last formal training they attended?? Are they certified to use the new refrigerant(s)??
You ask these same type of questions of Doctors, Lawyers, and other "professionals", why are you not asking these types of questions of those you are trusting to work on the single most expensive appliance in your home?? Even automotive mechanics have their certificates in frames on the wall in their shop. We as HVAC technicians, are bringing our shop to you(the customer), so we don't have a shop wall for you to see all the education and training certificates. If in your ignorance, you don't ask about the technician's qualifications, certifications, and training, then thats on you, not the schmuck that shows up on your door step. In your ignorance, if you don't ask, how do you know that the guy that just showed up on your doorstep didn't "almost graduate from high school"?? (I have guys like this calling me asking for a job as a tech, I tell them to go back to school).
As far as ALT.HVAC, when you come in here and ask a question, *most* of the time, depending on the question, you will be to call a tech because we can't *SEE* your particular furnace or heat pump or a/c through the computer screen. 99.99% of the time you haven't bothered to do your homework and search the archives to see that your same question has been asked hundreds of times over the last 10 years. You will probably find that 99% of the time when somebody is told to call their local tech, they get pissy about it just the same way that you did because it wasn't what they wanted to hear. FWIW, I have given up trying to reply privately because I am tired of typing a lengthy reply of whats *probably* the cause, and how to correct the problem only to have it bounce back because a bogus e-mail address.
You can joke all you want... but its your own ignorance that is the root cause of your dissatisfaction with the HVAC trade. If you really want to know, and see, first hand what a true professional HVAC technician does, and how they work, I'm sure that there are several owners/master technicians that would welcome you to ride along for a day....myself included.
Now its your choice.... you can put up, or shut up.
Either way, please go away
Blueman, you're right on the money about the alt.hvac forum, all those guys do is belittle everyone else. They often say that the alt.hvac forum is for "professionals", but then they do nothing but drop the "F" bomb on everyone and say you're an idiot, how professional is that? (see Paul's post above for example),
The alt.hvac forum has turned into a sandbox for these "professionals" to throw mud at unsuspecting people posting with legit questions. They really do the HVAC industry a disservice.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes:

Agreed. The evil side of me though is thinking of making this one of my regular newsgroups and pitching a new "innocent" question every day... Should be fun to see them respond to the bait like Pavlov's dogs... Worse comes to worse, they just iggie me in which case next time I ask a real question, I won't have to wade through their waste-of-bandwidth replies.
I also really love the one about how "this is a professionals only newsgroup" -- well, duh -- this is USENET and groups unless moderated are open to everyone... Also, talking about "cheap bastards", if they want their own private sandbox to pee in, then why don't they each pitch in a dollar a month and get their own hosted site. But then again, you can't buy web hosting with food stamps and these unemployed so-called tech's probably need to save their last pennies for their weekly sunday six-pack.
Noon-Air wrote in message ...

the
can't
hundreds
time
just
FWIW,
problem
I can truly understand your point, I just don't see the necessity of all the name calling that came from a simple question by blueman. A simple "we don't care to answer that in this newsgroup" would suffice, instead some of you act like "crazies." You're about the first one to respond in a logical manner. I appreciate that.
Cheri
"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> writes:

I agree -- no one is forced to answer any questions on USENET. Heck, every day I see plenty of questions on newsgroups that either I don't know the answer to or don't care to answer. I would have to be pretty desperately unemployed to waste my time responding to every posting that I didn't want to respond to in the first place with a tirade.
The funny thing is that if their real intention is to avoid non-pro clutter on the alt.hvac newsgroup then they have truly achieved the opposite. Here we have a thread of maybe a 100 posts (95% of them childish name calling and tirades) that surely is obscuring any true pro-to-pro conversation. Believe me, if no one had responded to my post, I wouldn't be sitting here responding to a vacuum. The signal-to-noise ratio has got to be one of the lowest on USENET and that is saying a LOT. All those "pros" must really be proud of the level of discourse here... Hmmm, makes you really envy all those "lucky" people in the HVAC profession -- NOT!
. Here we have a thread of maybe a 100 posts (95% of them | childish name calling and tirades) that surely is obscuring any true | pro-to-pro conversation.
Ironic isn't it, that 95% of those posts are yours, and since when do you earn the title of pro?
"Justin" <'> writes:

95% of the posts are mine? -- if that is how you do simple counting, I can't imagine how you can be trusted to do something like a "Manual J" or even calculate your customer bills (if you have any).
Also, your ability to read is rather suspect since nowhere did I call myself a pro, though it is clear from the level of this newgroup, that I am a lot closer to being one than I would have imagined.
| | Also, your ability to read is rather suspect since nowhere did I call | myself a pro, though it is clear from the level of this newgroup, that | I am a lot closer to being one than I would have imagined.
I assume the following statement from you included yourself, pro to pro

"Justin" <'> writes:

If you read the context, I was responding to the people who claim that this group is reserved for pro-to-pro conversations -- hence, by getting into tirades, temper-tantrums, and flame wars, they were effectively pissing in their own sandbox.
I continue to marvel at the (lack of) intelligence expressed by the so-called experts on this group...
It seems to me that you are putting yourself above everyone else here in the intelligence stakes, and if this is the case, why on earth do you insist in playing along with their so called tirades?
"Justin" <'> writes:

Good question. Entertainment?
I know that question was directed to 'blueman', but I'd like to step up to it. Don't know about the others, but I'm trying to learn a new language. Too old to learn Spanish or French, so I'd like to learn "Common". And I figure the best way to learn it without hanging about where the restroom stall walls have holes in them is to drop by and listen to some of the knuckle-draggers make their invitations and show their double-digit (at the most) IQ's. And it may not be a matter of counter-top intelligence for all of the posters. Some of the responders to 'blueman's' query had valid suggestions. But unfortunately, I can't really say "many". Unless you count the ones that spent so many years just getting permission to open an A/C unit, and are appalled that a mere homeowner would even think about doing it on his own. They are the ones that joined their comrades to try for "Humanitarian of the Year" by telling him it was clearly too dangerous to consider, and to leave it for the professionals.
Well, in every profession, there are a few professionals, and a lot of amateurs.
Justin wrote:

"Justin" <'> wrote in message

He doesn't have any thing else to occupy his time..... in real life, folks like that are called "politicians".

Yawn... I find the "blow me" and "asshole" responses so much more entertaining...
Which reminds me....
http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/screwing.gif
Jeff
--