Joists hangers

The diameter of the shank is all that is actually resisting the load in shear--not the threaded portion. it's inside the beam or joist...I never did nor am I claiming it has been approved, only that it isn't anyways near a 3/16" lag to get an equivalent area for the shear load...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Are either of you Jesuits? "How many angels can fit on the head of a pin?"

I still don't know why you'd want to use screws in the first place. I've never found a situation that I couldn't nail and nails are cheaper, faster and there's no arguments about angels and pins. ;)

RicodJour

If the hanger isn't installed according to the listing and the manufacturer's instructions, it won't meet code. I'm not aware that any manufacturer approves screws. I've refused to approve them, and I've always been right after investigation of the listing and instructions.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Not in this case. Simpson offers them. G Henslee's link in his post above had a link to the one below:

RicodJour

Good to know, I'll keep the link for future reference.

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
Dan

There have been positive placement nailguns for nailing metal connectors for a number of years now. I'm surprised you haven't heard of them and that Simpson didn't mention them. If by "machine driven fastener" you mean screws, why? They're slower, and don't provide enough additional benefits to make the hit in speed worthwhile.

RicodJour

Why, are you afraid of hammers, or just too stupid to know how to use one?

Reply to
.

RicodJour :

RicodJour wrote:

[...]

I'm an anti-Platonist. Referring to the pin angels, and by extension of the theories of Plato, I am also an anti-rationalist.

My question for Simpson several years ago when they offered only nail fasteners was, "Is a machine driven fastener possible?"

They indicated that while machine-driven automatically fed screws were in the cards, that the testing they do was they main deal. Testing requires elaborate physical and logical demonstrations, and that takes considerable time and money. Their testing is scientific and has to meet rigid standards.

Regarding the measured strengths of their products one would benefit by accessing their technical consultation service.

Ralph Hertle

Reply to
Ralph Hertle

RicodJour :

RicodJour wrote:

[...]

I'm an anti-Platonist. Referring to the pin angels, and by extension of the theories of Plato, I am also an anti-rationalist.

My question for Simpson several years ago when they offered only nail fasteners was, "Is a machine driven fastener possible?"

They indicated that while machine-driven automatically fed screws were in the cards, that the testing they do was the main deal. Testing requires elaborate physical and logical demonstrations, and that takes considerable time and money. Their testing is scientific and has to meet rigid standards.

Regarding the measured strengths of their products one would benefit by accessing their technical consultation service.

Ralph Hertle

Reply to
Ralph Hertle

Yes, I am aware of that. It also includes pop rivets, bolts, lag screws, cable ties, toggle bolts and molly anchors, etc. I just wasn't sure why you wanted a screw gun to attach metal connectors.

Here's one gun to get you started:

RicodJour

RicodJour:

RicodJour wrote:

[...]

The term fastener includes both screws and nails.

I'll be happy to learn about the "positive placement nailguns for nailing metal connectors".

Ralph Hertle

Reply to
Ralph Hertle

What do you want to know?

Reply to
Rick

RicodJour:

RicodJour wrote:

[...]

The term fastener includes both screws and nails.

I'll be happy to learn about the "positive placement nailguns for nailing metal connectors".

Ralph Hertle

Reply to
Ralph Hertle

RicodJour:

You have distorted what I have said several times over the course of time. You seem to be committed to anti-reason.

RicodJour wrote:

[...]

[...]

My exact words were, "machine driven fastener", and not, " screw gun".

You do not seem to understand the principle of the universality of word concepts.

You ask, "why"? Why aren't you "sure"?

When you offer respect for reason, an answer to your question can be given.

Ralph Hertle

Reply to
Ralph Hertle

RicodJour:

You have distorted what I have said several times over the course of time. You seem to be committed to anti-reason.

RicodJour wrote:

[...]

[...]

My exact words were, "machine driven fastener", and not, " screw gun".

You do not seem to understand the principle of the universality of word concepts.

You ask, "why"? Why aren't you "sure"?

When you offer respect for reason, an answer to your question can be given.

Ralph Hertle

Reply to
Ralph Hertle

RicodJour:

You have distorted what I have said several times over the course of time. You seem to be committed to anti-reason.

RicodJour wrote:

[...]

[...]

My exact words were, "machine driven fastener", and not, " screw gun".

You do not seem to understand the principle of the universality of word concepts.

You ask, "why"? Why aren't you "sure"?

When you offer respect for reason, an answer to your question can be given.

Ralph Hertle

Reply to
Ralph Hertle

8 or10d sinker nail well hold and for years to come. Try nailing a scrap wood block with one and then try to remove it. I think you well find it very difficult. As to using screws on a deck they should be galvanized. Since it is not treated wood (harder wood).I suppose you could build a house using screws but the cost would be much higher and take longer to get done and you would have to have a very large drill to handle the task. I would also think you would have to drill each hole before putting a screw in so as not to crack the wood. A lot of work to put in a screw in a 2x 8,10?.and drill may not fit in some places. We are in the process of adding a second floor and for the $300. it cost it is worth buying a framing nail kit with compressor. 2pyrs
Reply to
2pyrs