Joists hangers

Page 2 of 2
Actually, that would be: how many angels could you fit on the head of a screw?

If the hanger isn't installed according to the listing and the manufacturer's instructions, it won't meet code. I'm not aware that any manufacturer approves screws. I've refused to approve them, and I've always been right after investigation of the listing and instructions.
Dan
Dan wrote:

Not in this case. Simpson offers them. G Henslee's link in his post above had a link to the one below: http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/screws.html

Good to know, I'll keep the link for future reference.
Thanks, Dan
RicodJour :
RicodJour wrote:
[...]

I'm an anti-Platonist. Referring to the pin angels, and by extension of the theories of Plato, I am also an anti-rationalist.
My question for Simpson several years ago when they offered only nail fasteners was, "Is a machine driven fastener possible?"
They indicated that while machine-driven automatically fed screws were in the cards, that the testing they do was they main deal. Testing requires elaborate physical and logical demonstrations, and that takes considerable time and money. Their testing is scientific and has to meet rigid standards.
Regarding the measured strengths of their products one would benefit by accessing their technical consultation service.
Ralph Hertle
RicodJour :
RicodJour wrote:
[...]

I'm an anti-Platonist. Referring to the pin angels, and by extension of the theories of Plato, I am also an anti-rationalist.
My question for Simpson several years ago when they offered only nail fasteners was, "Is a machine driven fastener possible?"
They indicated that while machine-driven automatically fed screws were in the cards, that the testing they do was the main deal. Testing requires elaborate physical and logical demonstrations, and that takes considerable time and money. Their testing is scientific and has to meet rigid standards.
Regarding the measured strengths of their products one would benefit by accessing their technical consultation service.
Ralph Hertle
Ralph Hertle wrote:

There have been positive placement nailguns for nailing metal connectors for a number of years now. I'm surprised you haven't heard of them and that Simpson didn't mention them. If by "machine driven fastener" you mean screws, why? They're slower, and don't provide enough additional benefits to make the hit in speed worthwhile.
RicodJour:
RicodJour wrote:
[...]

The term fastener includes both screws and nails.
I'll be happy to learn about the "positive placement nailguns for nailing metal connectors".
Ralph Hertle
Ralph Hertle wrote:

Yes, I am aware of that. It also includes pop rivets, bolts, lag screws, cable ties, toggle bolts and molly anchors, etc. I just wasn't sure why you wanted a screw gun to attach metal connectors.

Here's one gun to get you started: http://www.asktooltalk.com/home/reviews/pneumatic/paslode5225.htm
RicodJour:
You have distorted what I have said several times over the course of time. You seem to be committed to anti-reason.
RicodJour wrote:
[...]

[...]
My exact words were, "machine driven fastener", and not, " screw gun".
You do not seem to understand the principle of the universality of word concepts.
You ask, "why"? Why aren't you "sure"?
When you offer respect for reason, an answer to your question can be given.
Ralph Hertle
RicodJour:
You have distorted what I have said several times over the course of time. You seem to be committed to anti-reason.
RicodJour wrote:
[...]

[...]
My exact words were, "machine driven fastener", and not, " screw gun".
You do not seem to understand the principle of the universality of word concepts.
You ask, "why"? Why aren't you "sure"?
When you offer respect for reason, an answer to your question can be given.
Ralph Hertle
RicodJour:
You have distorted what I have said several times over the course of time. You seem to be committed to anti-reason.
RicodJour wrote:
[...]

[...]
My exact words were, "machine driven fastener", and not, " screw gun".
You do not seem to understand the principle of the universality of word concepts.
You ask, "why"? Why aren't you "sure"?
When you offer respect for reason, an answer to your question can be given.
Ralph Hertle

What do you want to know?
RicodJour:
RicodJour wrote:
[...]

The term fastener includes both screws and nails.
I'll be happy to learn about the "positive placement nailguns for nailing metal connectors".
Ralph Hertle
"the clamping force of hanger against joist (both faces) also bears some" You have GOT to be kidding....

No.

I used DECK screws on hangers for a very large deck. Maybe because I did not know better. Inspector passed it and still holding up for 8 years. W W
If your build accuracy is good, you could probably sit them on blu-tack and they wouldn't move. Might not pass inspection tho.

Why, are you afraid of hammers, or just too stupid to know how to use one?
Sasha Wrote:

8 or10d sinker nail well hold and for years to come. Try nailing a scrap wood block with one and then try to remove it. I think you well find it very difficult. As to using screws on a deck they should be galvanized. Since it is not treated wood (harder wood).I suppose you could build a house using screws but the cost would be much higher and take longer to get done and you would have to have a very large drill to handle the task. I would also think you would have to drill each hole before putting a screw in so as not to crack the wood. A lot of work to put in a screw in a 2x 8,10.and drill may not fit in some places. We are in the process of adding a second floor and for the $300. it cost it is worth buying a framing nail kit with compressor. 2pyrs
--
2pyrs