joist/flooring noises

Hi all,

My house (garrison colonial) is 28 yrs old. I've been good at keeping up with repairs, etc.

Last year, the floors in the rooms upstairs got to the point I had to tighten the flooring. The noise had been building for a while. I rolled back the carpets and padding. I went along each joist and put in decking screws about every 8 inches.

Had a few places that no matter what I did, I couldn't quiet. Some of the subfloor goes under partition walls.

Now, in a few places, its worse than ever. Particularly the bathroom.

For some history, about 5 yrs ago, I put tile in the upstairs bathroom. The room is about 7 ft x 9 ft. I took up the second layer of sub floor and added 1/2" cement coard. 4 x 4 tiles on top of that. before I started this, I had talked to 2 contractors for estimates to do the job. All said they would do the same. I couldn't pay what they wanted, one didn't want the job, so I did it my self.

While we're away during the day, the floor I'm sure relaxes due to us not being there. When anybody walks in to the bathroom or the master bedroom, the floor "snaps" in one place and groans/squeaks in another. The adjoining walls also make popping noises. From what plans I have, the framing is 2x8 on 16 centers, 12 ft span. I have access to the bathroom from the kitchen (would means pulling down ceiling) and some of the upstairs hall.

Since I think I need professional expertise, what type of contractors would I be looking to call? Framing contractors, structural engineers?

I'm sure that I'm imagining that it's worse than it is, but at this point I want to be sure. If nothing else, the noise is driving me nuts (although no one else in the house seems to notice or comment about it).

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
bejay

I'd suggest an engineer. You might choose a structural engineer or forensic engineer conversant with light wood framing. The change in a 28 year old building puzzles me.

2x8 @ 16" O.C. should span 12'-0" unless there are special loads applied to it. It may be that you are particularly sensitive to the noises. TB
Reply to
tbasc