joint compound- wall & ceiling texture

I have been told that dry wall & ceiling texture are the same(after mixing with water) as the premixed wet joint compound.Is this true ? Some questions I have taped & bedded & now want some kind of texture on the walls before painting so which one of the above products do I use ? Can I use a roller on either ? There are different numbers on roller covers (1/2,3/8,3/4,etc) which is best to use to get a fairly rough finish ? The ceiling & wall texture has to be mixed with water so what is the right consistincy for applying also should the premixed be thinned before applying Thanks for any help
I'm not sure if it is the same stuff, cause frankly I've always used drywall compound. I mix it to the consistency that I like for whatever texture I'm going for. If I want a high stipple effect less water, if I want a more subtle effect a bit more water. I have used it on many ceiling repairs, luckily stippling was a great fad back in the 80's and fixing a ceiling that leaked for tenants is cheap and easy. Not to mention it never has to be perfect!.
Now that we bought an old house, my wife wants nothing to do with the stippling, Boy is that stuff messy to get rid of!
Searcher
J.Esam wrote:

Certain types of texture are made from drywall muc. Acoustic or cottage cheese ceiling texture is not. If you just want a texture on the wall, you can roll on a thinned drywall mixture to have "roll on texture". In my experience, it doesn't matter a whole lot whether you use a 3/4" nap or a 1/4". After a couple of rolls, it is a flat roller.
Experiment with different amounts of water and you can achieve a pretty good roll on texture.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.