joining wires without a junction box within a wall

Page 2 of 2

Go read up on aluminum wire for a good story on how 'screwed properly' turned out not to be the case.
Wire is cheap and it's really not all that hard to just pull fresh ones. Sure, it's more work than just tacking on more mistakes but, really, why even take the risks?
there must be an accessible junction box (hence the name) of some sort.
no alternative except to pull both cable segments out of the wall and replace with single segment.
bill

snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com wrote:

There's not an NEC compliant way to do it. If you want to do it safely but not compliant, do what you said but then silver-solder the connection and wrap with rubber splicing tape. Regular solder isn't good enough, you'd have to either weld it (and copper is hard to weld) or use silver solder with a high silver content (like 40%.) It would be a real pain-in-the-ass to do, and a half-assed job when you were done. HTH
Best regards, Bob
zxcvbob wrote:

One ought to follow the NEC, but the way you said is not the really the safe way. Wires are joined all over the house and in box and are safe. An inaccessible box can't be inspected but that doesn't make it unsafe. In fact, if one wires inaccessible boxes just like the accessible ones, one is no more unsafe than the other. But if I were doing it, which I wouldn't, I would make sure I used a box that clamps on the romex. The problem with an inaccessible box is when some yahoo starts pulling on the wires, the wires are not stapled as required, and the wires pull partially apart. You can stop that by using boxes with clamps.
I think this is all nonsense anyway as you should never need to use an inaccessible box. Just use an accessible box that is in full view or hidden behind a door, a hinged cover, a picture, etc.
George E. Cawthon wrote:

OP asked about joining wires without a box, and I was trying to make the point that doing it without a box would be more trouble and probably more expensive than doing it right -- and would still be a poor job when you were done.
Best regards, Bob
zxcvbob wrote:

Ah. I kind of missed that point in your last sentence and got sidetracked by the many other comments I was reading about the boxes. Sorry.

I'm not recommending this:
Was helping a friend rewire a house (almost complete wall teardown and removal of K&T), and we were left with a beautiful plastered ceiling we didn't want to touch, and we needed some way to reattach the K&T to the ceiling fixture to the new wiring, and it was in a real bad place to put an accessible box.
So we held off on that, with the hope that the inspector would have a good idea on his next visit.
The inspector told us to twist the wires together with at least 2" or so of twist, solder (with ordinary solder), tape thoroughly, and "don't let me see it".
This is basically replicating K&T connection techniques.
[K&T was mid-air spliced all the time.]
That's not legal. But the inspector told us to do it...
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

There is no way to do it without being accessible. Look at the fiasco of things like aluminum wire for a good example. Any time there's a connection made you need to have access to it. As has been suggested, pull the wires into a single gang junction box and put a wall outlet in it. Accessible for any future needs and potentially useful in the room. Otherwise just put a blank faceplace on it.

Then you're not looking at something that would pass code.