Joining stringers for long stairs

Page 2 of 2
On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 6:55:51 PM UTC-4, Tony Botchagaloop wrote:

that is not a sure thing either due to the lack of codes here.

stairs about 4 feet from the building. Instead of ordering special order s tringers long enough, he used 2 sets and he did a number on how they join a nd are supported in the middle of the run. I've been going through multipl e idea's on how to fix it (multiple problems) and I've gotten to the point where I'm thinking of making something out of steel U channel that would fi t the 2x12 stringers at the bottom edge, centered at the stringer joints, n ot sure how far to extend it, an I'd weld upside down U's to fit 4x4 posts to set on and be bolted to. Without you seeing this I suppose this is hard or impossible thing to picture?

nd anything like my situation. I believe most builders would have put a 4' x4' landing between the two sets. This guy put a not quite double depth st ep in the middle because he didn't realize he was doing it until he put on the treads. I plan on cutting that one extra step and sliding the lower se t of stringers forward to properly meet the upper stringers. A 4x4 landing is not possible, the steps would extend too far into the driveway. If you have a picture that would be great although I'm not sure where we could po st them, I assume they aren't allowed here.

I will try to get another contractor out here and do an estimate or suggest it needs to be torn down and started over, but it's really hard to find on e these days, I don't know the reason, but this guy has lots of work and 3 crews!
Surprisingly, the stairway and landing are very solid. Yes I know that is hard to believe from the little I've shown. I just remembered what that se cond picture was suppose to be, it was were he nailed a 2x4 horizontally ac ross the middle supports to keep it from swaying left and right. I tore th at off and made a large X with PT 2x4 which made it very tight. I really b elieve if I can't get someone to do an estimate, that using the plywood as suggested, AND adding quite a few metal hangers and such, that it will do. No it will never be the Tag Mahal but it will work and be safe. First I w ill try other contractors. Are any of you from East TN?
On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 9:20:00 AM UTC-4, Tony Botchagaloop wrote:

d that is not a sure thing either due to the lack of codes here.

e stairs about 4 feet from the building. Instead of ordering special order stringers long enough, he used 2 sets and he did a number on how they join and are supported in the middle of the run. I've been going through multi ple idea's on how to fix it (multiple problems) and I've gotten to the poin t where I'm thinking of making something out of steel U channel that would fit the 2x12 stringers at the bottom edge, centered at the stringer joints, not sure how far to extend it, an I'd weld upside down U's to fit 4x4 post s to set on and be bolted to. Without you seeing this I suppose this is ha rd or impossible thing to picture?

find anything like my situation. I believe most builders would have put a 4'x4' landing between the two sets. This guy put a not quite double depth step in the middle because he didn't realize he was doing it until he put o n the treads. I plan on cutting that one extra step and sliding the lower set of stringers forward to properly meet the upper stringers. A 4x4 landi ng is not possible, the steps would extend too far into the driveway. If y ou have a picture that would be great although I'm not sure where we could post them, I assume they aren't allowed here.

one these days, I don't know the reason, but this guy has lots of work and 3 crews!

second picture was suppose to be, it was were he nailed a 2x4 horizontally across the middle supports to keep it from swaying left and right. I tore that off and made a large X with PT 2x4 which made it very tight. I really believe if I can't get someone to do an estimate, that using the plywood a s suggested, AND adding quite a few metal hangers and such, that it will do . No it will never be the Tag Mahal but it will work and be safe. First I will try other contractors. Are any of you from East TN?
Oh and I forgot to add, from 20' it doesn't look bad, really! Well maybe t o you it will look bad? And it is in the rear of my garage where anyone el se rarely goes.
http://i68.tinypic.com/207xp3l.jpg" target="_images" rel="nofollow">
http://i68.tinypic.com/207xp3l.jpg">
http://i68.tinypic.com/207xp3l.jpg
He had also dumped more quic k-crete at the bottom, high enough to partially bury the grade 2 PT. I too k the tag off a piece, called the lumber company and asked if it should be buried in concrete and the answer was a flat out NO. When it began to rain I shoveled the quick crete out of there. I asked the lumber company about burying the green higher quality PT and he said it's just OK. He said set in concrete it will last about 20 years. (none of mine is buried)
On 06/01/2016 8:19 AM, Tony Botchagaloop wrote: ...

At least initially, I'm not surprised. As the PT dries out and shrinks it'll undoubtedly "loosen-up" a bit. If nothing else, I'd add blocking where the supports were miscut on the center post so the stringer does have a solid rest instead of hanging only on the nails and then as well as the ply gusset I'd bolt fully-thru the posts and the stringers.
Were in the Oak Ridge/Clinton area for 25+ yr, but that was now 15+ yr ago, sorry. Wasn't Frank Shetterly by any chance't...looks like something he'd've done when built the spec house we bought there...but I'm sure he must be long deceased by now; that was '78.