JohnDeer D100 - question about choice of motor oil

What is the recommended oil?

If it's just a John Deere "brand", check the specs on the container (or in the owner's manual) and them buy a name brand oil with the same specs.

Deere is not an oil refiner-- they pay a refiner to put oil in their container with a JD label and resell it to suckers at a too stiff mark up!

Reply to
Douglas C. Neidermeyer

The reason is that John Deere needs your money. Beyond that, can't think of a reason.

.

TIA

Paul

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

They're job creators. The reason for the high price is the janitor's pension.

Didn't you know, the rich are job creators, the poor is why there are no jobs.

Reply to
george

I agree. It's just like my hay baler insists I use their own brand of baling twine, which costs twice what the standard stuff costs. These companies look for suckers willing to pay their excessive prices.

Just stick to the recommended weight (such as 10w30), and buy that weight oil.

Reply to
jazzy

My friend has a JD D100 mower - second hand but new. We're about to change the motor oil and filter for the first time as recommended in the manual.The recommended oil cost nearly 6.00 a quart. Is there any reason why we can't just use a good grade 10-30 motor oil ?

TIA

Paul

Reply to
Paul J. Dudley

The problem is that many companies also do this to escape warrantly liability if you failed to use the specified consumable products. It's a tradition that covers ink jet printers, nailers, staplers, etc. JD could have their refiner add custom ingredients that they'd claim were necessary to protect the engine and your use of non-Deere oil would be pointed to if the engine seized from some oil-related failure. I recall a case of a mechanic about to be fired adding very nasty things to the garage's big oil cans before he got got canned.

Can't find that cite but found this:

Walmart Mechanic Wrote Satanic Symbols On Car During Oil Change

Cached A Walmart customer says she found an unpleasant surprise after ... An angry mechanic could have access to lots of things while under the car, ...

I seem to recall he polluted the oil with battery acid which only led to this:

Christian woman acid attacked by Muslim, finds new life in Houston ... 1.. atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/.../christian-woman-acid-attacked-by-muslim-find s-new-life-in-houston.html - Cached Jul 9, 2012 ... Aftab tried to block the arc of battery acid, but it melted much of the right side of her face and left her with swirling, bone-deep burns on her chest ...

The concept of adding battery acid to a transmission is discussed here at one of the sites I am sure Dufe will love:

That's some evil thinking there. A can or two of soda spilled into the windshield vents should turn your enemy's car into a moving antfarm or yellowjacket nest.

Some of the stuff is frankly unbelievable, but I am looking for my can of Drano and some gasoline to test out Prank 9. I don't think it will work, but that's what science is all about.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

What was worse were Emerson radios and Zenith TVs. The instruciions on the tube map said to replace only with genuine Emerson tubes and Zenith tubes, even though no one sold the Emerson tubes by the time I got involved, and maybe not the Zenith tubes either.

Reply to
micky

Then where have they been for the last 4 years?

Reply to
micky

I highly recommend using Mobil 1 synthetic 5W-30. You only change the oil on the thing about once a year typically so the cost should be pretty irrelevant. Long term life and reliability are a lot more important. Also always use Sta-Bil in the gas, and if it's available near you (try marinas and small airports) ethanol free gas will help as well.

Reply to
Pete C.

That's how it's done! For every tall wall, someone's got a taller ladder. I might even buy a case of stinkin' JD oil, photocopy the receipt and take it back unopened for a refund, keeping a single can to make the final oil change before seeking warranty service.

One of the crappiest instances of this kind of corporate blackmail was in printer carts where they tried to use the Digital Millenium Copying Act to keep people from refilling ink cartridges. I believe it was Lexmark. Yes, here it is:

'l_v._Static_Control_Components Ironically IBM was part of a huge landmark lawsuit decades before about plug-compatible equipment for mainframes. Corporations hate open standards and competitors.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Thanks for y'alls replies. I used Pennzoil 10-30 which is what I use in my Jeep and my Troy-bilt mower. I appreciate what Robert and Jazzy said. I told my friend that if'n she had any problems requiring warrenty work I'd change the oil to the JD stuff before hand.

Thanks again Y'all.

Paul

Reply to
Paul J. Dudley

The Obama tax code scares them into hiding. Vote Romney.

.

Then where have they been for the last 4 years?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What you mean is they were extrorting the country, keeping it from economic growth with the hope of electing a Repubican and gettting money concessions. That is the opposite of patriotism.

If they're only going to crteate jobs when they have a near-guarantee of profits, they're wortthless.

In the 50's the marginal tax rate was over 90% and we still had prosperity.

I can certainly see why you'd want a fellow Mormon elected, and you may like that he's against abortion, etc. (at least this week those are his positions) but financially, you would probably lose money under the Repulbican plan, and your kids too. I forget but you've said what you do for a living, and the Republican proposals are seriously against your financial interests.

Reply to
micky

On 9/22/2012 11:56 AM, micky wrote: ...

Only if your interest is in living from unemployment compensation, food stamps and other welfare and entitlement programs.

The problem in lacking job creation is not the absolute tax rate itself(+) so much as it is the lack of clear certainty in what future tax rules are going to be and the fear of increasing other regulation from particularly EPA that is, in essence, another set of taxes. Of course, there's also the tremendous additional burden of the healthcare mandates that is another albatross around the necks of employers that will certainly make them think twice about taking on additional help w/ jobs that pay benefits.

(+) That is, companies can cope w/ a given tax structure if they're certain it is going to be what it is and the rules aren't going to change--when there's uncertainty and likelihood of rules changing, nobody's going to commit on anything other than the most absolute of a sure deal--that's where we've been for the last two years or so since the midterms that shifted power and portended a possible larger shift to come. Also that there are (and have been) many major areas including just for one the current tax rates that congress has not dealt with is just adding to that uncertainty by not knowing what, specifically, the end result is going to be. Certainly major areas in defense and other programs aren't going to do anything any time soon because if can't deal with it the mandated funds sequestration that will come into play after the debt reduction committee failed to come up w/ a plan will throw a serious crimp into defense spending--Boeing, M-Marietta, Lockheed, et al. are already making cutbacks. Yet another is that the continuation of energy policy in the extension of wind-generation tax credits is causing a retraction there--Siemens has cut about half of their production owing to that in the last month since Congress adjourned w/o addressing the issue.

Where the problems in rates _does_ occur is that the rest of the world now has from marginally to significantly _LOWER_ corporate tax rates than does the US. That's a significant driver in the proliferation of US companies moving overseas--they can do better there. And, while it pains the left, the point of a business is _not_ to create jobs just for the sake of putting somebody to work--the job is a necessary part of being able to do business but the purpose of the company is to make a profit first and foremost and except for government and charities, unless the company makes a sustainable profit there will be no jobs long term.

So, it really is true the old saying of the '50s--"What's good for General Motors is good for the US". It's still true and over a period of time with some certainty there's no question in my mind that more business-friendly policies will lead to far better economic growth that regressive policies. It is, after all, a competition worldwide w/ a mutually beneficial outcome that occurs as expanding economic activity does "raise all boats".

--

Reply to
dpb

Hmmm, Today's hi tech engines require specific type oil. Any tranny shop or lube joint will carry several different specific oil and tranny fluid, etc. In many cases this is really true. Anti-freeze fluid, engine oil, power steering tranny fluid are manufacturer specific.

Maybe warranty work was needed because wrong oil was used? I saw some car radiators gone bad and tranny failed premature because driver put in wrong stuff. Vehicles in my family is all Japanese and we only have them serviced by the dealer where we bought them new, never ran into major issues until trade-in time.

My Kawasaki engine on the old JD mower has Red line synthetic oil. I changed it only twice in about 15 years. It still runs good. Oil level did not go down.

Reply to
Tony Hwang