John Deere stalling update

A few weeks ago I mentioned a problem I was having with my LX188 John Deere. It would stall after about 40 minutes of mowing and would not turn back on for more than 15 seconds before it would stall again. Soon, this 40 minutes turned into 10 minutes. I assumed this was some sort of overheating problem causing the motor to shut off.

But this past weekend I mowed the lawn for about 1 hour and 30 minutes and it never stalled. The only difference is I moved the mower deck height up two notches. Up to 2.5 from 1.5.

So this brought back some memories. The stalling didn't happen until I had sharpened the blades, taking them off and then putting them back on. After doing this is when the stalling began to happen.

What I remembered is that, with one of the blades, I was having a very hard time loosening the bolt that held it on. I usually stick a 2 by 4 in between the blade and the mower deck to prevent the blades from turning as I loosen the bolt. This one stubborn bolt would not budge. So as I applied more pressure the bolt started turning but it was just turning, not being loosened. Even with the blades unable to move, the bolt was still turning.

I finally got the bolt off by taking the 2 by 4 out and putting a wrench on the top side of the deck to stop the bolt from turning, which I should have done in the first place. I sharpened the blades and put it back on.

Then the stalling started.

Did I mess up that bolt and other things to make the engine have to work a lot harder to turn that blade? It has been greased.

That's the only thing I can think of at this point.

Thanks

Reply to
Steve K

If you disconnect the drive belt you should easily be able to check the force required to turn each of the blades individually.

The deck height difference suggests that careful inspection of the mower deck drive belt and it's travel path is in order along with the deck height mechanism.

Check fuel supply as well, could perhaps have a fuel line being pinched by the deck somewhere.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Also check the fuel tank vent. Could be pulling a vacuum in the tank.

-rev

Pete C. wrote:

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

My first thought is that the blades are on upside down. Second thought is the belt is rubbing on a guide.

Reply to
Frank K.