John Deere Mower

I have had a JD ride on mower for a year now (LA165 I believe) and find that every time I go to start it, the battery is dead or nearly dead. Surely, this is not normal. Any idea what the problem could be?
TIA!
..
--
We must change the way we live
Or the climate will do it for us.

Ive bought car batteries that went completly bad in 6 months, 2 from one place, on the second one they used a different brand and stopped carying the junk brand, so junk is sold. Did you check voltage before starting, running, and after its shut off, Cables connections if loose can corrode fast. Id believe 12.2- 12.8v or more after it sits, 13.5v when running and charging, and near 12.8v just when its shut off would be right. www.batteryuniversity.com might help. It could just be something loose or alot more. If voltage is low try a charger on it for overnight, but your Deere dealer would know more and may cover part or all the cost. Most auto parts stores fully test batteries free, as one bad cell would make it near worthless and for that you need a load test to figure it out.
ransley wrote:

Yeah. When I charge the battery, it works fine for that day. I can stop the tractor and start it again repeatedly for hours with no problem, so I'm guessing it's not the alternator and is just a battery that won't hold its juice.
Does that make sense?
Thanks
..
--

We must change the way we live,
or the climate will do it for us.
clouddreamer wrote:

A) Many small engine batteries just don't last more than about a year ime.
B) Is charging system working properly; electrolyte level correct, etc., ...???
C) Perhaps you have a leakage path causing discharge.

dpb wrote:

figure has a similar motor? Cart was built in 1987.
Lou
LouB wrote:

Sure. You just have to match the voltage (a 12v charger on a 6v battery is not good - likewise a 12v charger on a 24v system).
HeyBub wrote:

Yes, and a 12v system can be "jumped" from the truck with cables, same as another car with a 12v system. I have not seen a 6v system since my former 1936 Chevy truck..
Oren wrote:

With the battery fully charged, disconnect one terminal. With engine, key off, connect an ammeter between the terminals and measure the current flow. If it is over 30 milliamps, you may have a bad battery. If it is 150-500 milliamps you probably have an alternator with a shorted blocking diode or similar malfunction. If you lack the test equipment, take the alternator and battery to Autozone or other store that has test equipment and have them check it for you.
Joe
clouddreamer wrote:

sittings.
On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 17:57:09 -0230, clouddreamer

A mower/tractor battery was short lived for me. Using jumper cables from the truck it would start.
Once it is started and running, remove the positive cable from the battery post. If it continues to run, the alternator should be okay.
If it has head lights will they light without running the engine? If not I suspect the battery needs replaced. YMMV.
Oren wrote:

Yeah, after I let it sit for a couple weeks, I try to start it. Lights and display come one and I might get a few seconds of cranking, but know immediately that I'm not going to get enough out of it to turn the engine over. If I keep trying to crank it, it just dies...lights and all.
Once I charge it for a few hours, it works fine for the day. Turning on and off repeatedly. So, I'm guessing the battery is done.
Thanks
:)
--

We must change the way we live,
or the climate will do it for us.

It's the climate gods trying to tell you to practice what you preach and mow your lawn with a goat or not at all...LOL... ; )
benick wrote:

<sigh> There's one joker in every crowd. Sorry, don't find it funny. And for your information, the tractor replaces my workhorse ATV, lawn mower and snowblower.
Three machines replaced by one. I call that practicing what I preach.
..