John Deere Mower

I have had a JD ride on mower for a year now (LA165 I believe) and find that every time I go to start it, the battery is dead or nearly dead. Surely, this is not normal. Any idea what the problem could be?

TIA!

..

Reply to
clouddreamer

Ive bought car batteries that went completly bad in 6 months, 2 from one place, on the second one they used a different brand and stopped carying the junk brand, so junk is sold. Did you check voltage before starting, running, and after its shut off, Cables connections if loose can corrode fast. Id believe 12.2- 12.8v or more after it sits, 13.5v when running and charging, and near 12.8v just when its shut off would be right.

might help. It could just be something loose or alot more. If voltage is low try a charger on it for overnight, but your Deere dealer would know more and may cover part or all the cost. Most auto parts stores fully test batteries free, as one bad cell would make it near worthless and for that you need a load test to figure it out.

Reply to
ransley

... A) Many small engine batteries just don't last more than about a year ime.

B) Is charging system working properly; electrolyte level correct, etc., ...???

C) Perhaps you have a leakage path causing discharge.

Reply to
dpb

Will a regular auto battery charger work in my gas golf cart, which I figure has a similar motor? Cart was built in 1987.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

Reply to
Joe

Sure. You just have to match the voltage (a 12v charger on a 6v battery is not good - likewise a 12v charger on a 24v system).

Reply to
HeyBub

Get a battery disconnect switch and see if it still goes flat between sittings.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Thanks

Reply to
LouB

A mower/tractor battery was short lived for me. Using jumper cables from the truck it would start.

Once it is started and running, remove the positive cable from the battery post. If it continues to run, the alternator should be okay.

If it has head lights will they light without running the engine? If not I suspect the battery needs replaced. YMMV.

Reply to
Oren

It's the climate gods trying to tell you to practice what you preach and mow your lawn with a goat or not at all...LOL... ; )

Reply to
benick

Yes, and a 12v system can be "jumped" from the truck with cables, same as another car with a 12v system. I have not seen a 6v system since my former 1936 Chevy truck..

Reply to
Oren

Thanks

Reply to
LouB

Yeah. When I charge the battery, it works fine for that day. I can stop the tractor and start it again repeatedly for hours with no problem, so I'm guessing it's not the alternator and is just a battery that won't hold its juice.

Does that make sense?

Thanks

..

Reply to
clouddreamer

Yeah, after I let it sit for a couple weeks, I try to start it. Lights and display come one and I might get a few seconds of cranking, but know immediately that I'm not going to get enough out of it to turn the engine over. If I keep trying to crank it, it just dies...lights and all.

Once I charge it for a few hours, it works fine for the day. Turning on and off repeatedly. So, I'm guessing the battery is done.

Thanks

:)

Reply to
clouddreamer

There's one joker in every crowd.

Sorry, don't find it funny. And for your information, the tractor replaces my workhorse ATV, lawn mower and snowblower.

Three machines replaced by one. I call that practicing what I preach.

..

Reply to
clouddreamer