Jiffy-Lube Crooks

I lost the url of the site that had all the criminal activity of Jiffy-Lube. Anyone have it?

Reply to
JimL

barbarow

I think this is what you are looking for:

Jim McLaughlin

"Jim McLaughlin" wrote in news:NLedndZ- A5g5aibZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

am so POd. I just went there the other day and the guy behind the desk was verbally abusive and demeaning. I have a feeling I was cheated, but can't prove it. Learn from me, folks, don't go to Jiffy Lube. They are terrible !!!

Reply to
Marina

I have a lift at the house and normally change my own oil..but the wifes Van is a pain because the ceiling in my garage is not high enough to let me put the van completely up in the air...

So I have used my local Jiffy Lube for the van a few times...mostly in the winter and I think each "store" is a franchise owned by an individual...

Therefore I would NOT say that ALL Jiffy Lubes are Terrible.. Have no problem at my local one..

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

Just because you got a clerk with an attitude, doesn't mean all Jiffy Lubes are terrible. Our local store is quite comptitive for basic oil changes if you get in on the early bird special (

Reply to
DAC

I'm a lazy guy, have all the tools and know-how but get my oil changed. lazy sod!

I have had good luck at the valvoline chain.

dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

They have been pulling the "Dirty oil trick" since the day they opened, over 20 years.

Reply to
m Ransley

I've also had good luck with the Valvoline chain. Not the cheapest, tho'. What I like about them is you stay in your car and they get right to work. If you have to pay for the convenience factor, it's nice to actually get the convenience. I just really wish they had them in my area.

Jiffy Lube is simply awful. I can change my own oil with a pair of ramps considerably faster and than they can and at less cost. Most of the time I sit in a dingy waiting room for 90 minutes with three guys hanging out in the shop floor chatting and one of them kind of doing something that only slightly resembles work.

Then they give you the check sheet with all the extranious items everything checked and absolutely nothing done. I've never once had them top off my washer fluid, lube my door hinges, or check my tire pressure.

I wrote a letter to their corporate offices and they responded by sending me a $5.00 off coupon. It was simply insulting. There's certain companies that have no business being in business. Jiffy Lube is one.

Reply to
trbo20

I used to be able to do that. After buying my '91 Regal, I gave up and found it infinitely easier to pay $20 or so. Getting to the filter was a real PITA. Three cars (and a few years) later I still find it easier to pay.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

Thanks, I'll try there next time. I just saw a sign in their window. I forget the exact words, but it meant they are good with customer service + they don't try and force other services on you that you don't want.

Reply to
Marina

It may be easier to pay, but you don't get all the benefit of a good DIY job. I always take the opportunity to inspect CV joint/ball joint boots, suspension components, brake lines, etc. during the few minutes the oil is draining. Of course it's easy on my truck since I can roll under it on the creeper without having to jack or ramp anything.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

The silver bullet for that is to use the filters with the rubbery grip on the base. My wife's Lexus has the filter in a HORRIBLE place if you have to use any kind of wrench on it, but it's no trouble at all if you can just reach up from below and loosen it with your hand.

I had to get the first one off by driving a screwdriver through it so I could get it started, but every one since then has been no trouble at all.

For me doing the change myself allows me to use the savings for synthetics or synthetic blends (plus I know the drain plug isn't going to be left on the road some where).

Reply to
Rick Brandt

Thats funny. Exactly the oposite here. Everytime I go to the Jiffy lube I always say "Dont put air in the tires!", and every time they do.

I then drive home and let out the 10 lbs of over pressure that they always put in.

Dickm

Reply to
dicko

The only thing I've ever seen there that seemed a little shadey was the special "Old Car" oil change that used special "Old Car Oil". Something for cars over 100k miles. Who knows, it might have been legit.

Reply to
trbo20

Don't misunderstand me. An oil change place *could* do it much faster than me, and it *should* be easier. The case is that they don't, and it's not. My wife went to Jiffy Lube last year to get her car done and It literally took her 90 minutes from door to door. They also pulled the "need a flush" scam on her. She came back all worried about it.

With parts purchases, the change, giving the car a once-over, used oil disposal, and cleanup, I can do everything in just under an hour. I buy a half-dozen filters at once and get the good Mobil 1 synthetic oil by the case from Costco at a great price. I store the old oil in the same bottles the new oil came in and run it to a disposal site about once a year.

With these time-saving measures, my changes go pretty fast. It also doesn't hurt that my car's filter is easily accessible and my wife and I both drive the same model year. If I had to go someplace to do it, I think I would go to Sears at the local mall. They're neither fast or cheap, but at least with them, I can go hang out at Chili's and have a beer.

Reply to
trbo20

I used to have a Nissan Pulsar in which the valve/pump for the windshield washer fluid was mounted on the base of the fluid jug. Over time, the pump unit rusted and leaked. I always told the Jiffy Lube guys not to put any fluid in there as it would only leak out. I was usually told "You probably don't use it and it evaporates" and they would fill the jug and it would drip out for the next day.

One day when I was working on the engine, I removed the jug. The next time I went to Jiffy Lube, the guy was going over the check sheet and noting all the things that had been done. When he hit 'filled windshield washer fluid', I stopped him. Asked where they put it, since there is no jug. He got very embarressed and went back out into the work area. Came back and said, well, you know, sometimes the guys get in a hurry and check off stuff that wasn't done. I then asked what else on the sheet was checked that wasn't done? He didn't offer any kind of discount or deal to make up for his employees lack of attention. I quit going there.

Reply to
John Locke

: : I lost the url of the site that had all the criminal activity of :Jiffy-Lube. : Anyone have it? : Looks like the one you want might be:

Dan_Musicant

LOL. Awesome story, John. Thanks for sharing.

You know what the irony is? I would have been a lot happier if they just didn't give me the damn sheet in the first place. Don't give me a list of everything you could have done but chose not to, and then tell me you did it.

Reply to
trbo20

And I love when the car rides like a truck after you leave and when you check the tire pressure, they inflated two or three of the tires to 65 pounds.

Reply to
jerryl