Jetted Bathtubs: the source of a leak?

Hi, there. I've a water stain on the ceiling. There's a bathroom on the floor above. For the life of me I can't find any obvious source of the leak.
I've a jetted bathtub. I see the plastic cap (with a hole in the middle for the jet to poke through it) which covers one of the jets is loose.
Does anyone know if these caps are necessary to keep water from escaping from the tub? Or they're just decorative (so a loose cap wouldn't cause water to leak out of the tub and stain the ceiling below)?
Hmm...
Adam Lane wrote:

yep, it will certainly cause a leak. If you were to totally unscrew the jet housing (cap), you'd probably see a rubber or plastic washer behind it. It might be necessary to replace that washer. be careful, mine leaked a month or so ago and it was because someone had OVER tightened a couple of the housings and cracked the threads.