Jenn-aire cooktop installation

Does anybody have experience installing Jenn-Aire cooktops? We have a C301 that was unhooked to install a new countertop. Of course, We now have to hook it back up.
There are three wires from the house (two black and an uninsulated ground) and there are some red, and white wires coming from the cooktop. I'm pretty sure they just gang together and connect to one or the other black wires (all the red together to one black wire and all the white to the other black wire). What I don't understand is there is also black wire and a cloth covered wire coming from the cook top (all the other insulation is plastic) and I don't know how they are connected to the house wiring.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,
Jim
(to email directly to me, take man's best friend out of my email address)
--
To get my real address, delete man's best friend from my address

On some of the older Jenn Air cooktops (like you have), the wires *do not* just get "ganged together" and doing so may cause damage to the appliance. I suggest you get the complete model and serial number of the appliance and contact Jenn Air to see if they can still supply installation instructions.
BTW. That's a pretty old unit, I might have suggested you upgraded it to a newer one since you redid your counter tops. Should an expensive repair be needed in the future you may be forced to repair the model you have as I doubt you'd be able to find a currently available replacement cooktop with will fit exactly where that one is without altering you new counter top.
JMO
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Jenn-Air+cooktop
=~~~~~~
On Sat, 08 May 2004 15:17:35 -0400, Dan O. wrote:

Thanks, Dan. I really appreciate your getting back to me.
It seems like I need to have someone who knows what they're doing to help me.
I appreciate the advice about the cooktop, but it's still in good shape and we're not looking to spend the money on that right now. I concede that you certainly have a good point and somewhere down the line, that may be in the cards.
Thanks again and take care.
Jim
--
To get my real address, delete man's best friend from my address

get your head out of his ass! he has no idea what you are talking about it's just another link to his useless website. which is why he is here..............to gather info that he has NO knowledge of!

Yep, my old Jenn air went out the door as the part needed was 'out of stock' and the price if available was rediculous. Yes, I did have to widen the counter cut-out for the new top.
Harry K