Jenn Air StoveTop Fan Operation

We bought a house with an existing Jenn Air gas stovetop installed. We thought there was a wiring problem with it because the exhaust fan comes on automatically (and cannot be shut off) whenever the left side burners are used. We learned from a repair company that this is how Jenn Air designed this unit. Can anyone tell me why in the world they would do it this way when there is a switch for the fan within easy reach right on the stovetop?
Another weird thing is when you fire up one of the burners, all of the igniters light. Again, this is as designed. But every now and then, you can hear one of the other igniters firing but the one you want to light doesn't. Eventually, after a few tries, it does. Annoying, but at least it works.

Can't speak for JennAir, but my over the range microwave does the same thing if the temperature gets too high. It is a safety thing to prevent damage from overheating.

The mulit ignier is probably as much for simplicity in wiring and manufacture. On our Roper there are two igniters for four burners. No matter if you turn the front or back knob the same (only) ignither on that side works. Ed

snipped-for-privacy@JayMontero.com wrote:

is automatically assumed to be the grill and apparently they assume that if the grill is on the fan will be needed and always on high speed. Unfortunately if I put the griddle over there or plug in the extra burner module to use an oversize stock pot that the halogen module on the right won't handle the fan still comes on. Can't locate my manual at the moment but I don't think there is any workaround.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Just use one of those torch lighters, like are used for lighting candles or a BBQ. That's what I have to use on the gas stove when the elec. power goes out.
--
Bill

I have a Jennair, electric, circa 1988 and the fan only comes on if I turn on the switch for it. If I had one where the fan always came on, I'd rewire it, because it sounds like a good way to suck hot/cold air out of the house for no reason.
snipped-for-privacy@JayMontero.com wrote:

We have a gas Jenn Air which we bought new. The fan comes on only when the grill or griddle is installed.
According to the wiring diagram there is a "pan switch" which is normally closed. When the grill/griddle is installed there is no pan so the switch is closed and the fan is on. There is a pin on the end of the pan so when the burners/pan are installed the switch is opened and the fan is off.
Hope this helps.
Just another bit of info on the Jenn air fan.
I have the left side of our Jenn air set up with the griddle. As has already been said, the fan comes on automatically when the griddle is lit. I had assumed this was because we had replaced the grille with the griddle - and that the fan was necessary when cooking on the grille.
Therefore, I thought the automatic fan was not needed for the grille. I took off the front face /trim cover (take off knobs, take off face plate), identified the wire that ran the automatic fan switch and disconnected it. Sure enough, the fan no longer ran automatically when I lit the griddle.
The unfortunate part was that the griddle burners didn't really work properly without the fan running - it seems like the fan (suction) pulls air throught the space between the burners and the griddle and thus helps it to burn properly. I re-installled the automatic fan wire and the burners worked much better.
Just fyi, fwiw.
Cam