Jenn-Air Repair Insurance Worthwhile?

We have a Jenn-Air down draft stove that has worked fine for several years.
We are now offered repair warranty for $258 for the next three years.
Ordinarily I never buy equipment warranties, figuring that they are just a profit scheme.
But perhaps there is something I dont know abut this product. I know that appliances are often built to last only five years nowadays.
Any suggestions??
Thank you.
Dwight

+1
And if you have even basic skills, good chance you can fix a stove, or at least many things on it, yourself. Then the only cost is the parts
On 10/19/2011 1:25 PM, Dwight wrote:

Has it any electronic panels? If it does, and the panel fails, it'll cost you about that much just to replace the panel. If the panel is located in a place where it is likely to get damaged by spills or burns, the odds that you'll need to replace it go way up.
My brother bought a Jenn-Air range and had the electronic panel on it die in just under a year. The company replaced it under warranty. The replacement died a little more than a year later. He was told it'd run $230 for a replacement. He opted to replace the entire stove with a different brand.
Re Re: Jenn-Air Repair Insurance Worthwhile?:

Smart move.

You'll be happy to learn, they are still a profit scheme.
Put the money in the bank. If offered a service policy for anything, note the price, put the money in the bank. After a few years, you can easily handle any repairs or replacements needed from the "warranty fund" you established.
Same goes for the house warranties offered. If you bank that money, you can handle just about any repair needed and that includes roof replacement after some years.
People often spend a lot of money for life insurance and get screwed. They die anyway. You deprived yourself of something to pay for that premium, and you kids get fun money after you are too dead to enjoy it.