JCPenny Garage Door opener/receiver

I just moved into a house which has an automatic garage door opener installed. However the previous owners did not leave any of the controllers/clickers. The receiver is from JC Penny and my guess is it is at least 30 years old. It works fine so I would have to replace it, but I would like to have the ability to open the door from outside. Any suggestions on how to find the frequency so I can buy a new clicker? JCPenny doesnt carry this type of equipment as far as I can tell.

Did you try getting the part number or model number of the door opener in your garage?
Stanley
If the door works well, it is probably a good thing to replace the receiver and transmitters. HD and others, have a kit available. When my receiver was hit by lightening, I bought a kit with 2 code rotating transmitters and a receiver. It was under $100.
ssylee wrote:

Firas wrote:

Give these guys a shout and tell them whatever model numbers you can find on your equipment. Betcha they'll have tramsmitters which will do the trick.
Odds are your unit was made by Chamberlain, who supplied a lot of the "chain stores" with their openers.
HTH,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

You are assuming that it HAS a remote control. I manage a property with an opener so old that the wireless receiver was a separate add on box. We found a kit from Sears (Craftsman) for $60 with two remotes on ebay,
JK
There are several aftermarket radio transmitters and receiver sets you can buy to totally replace whatever system was originally there. This one is more expensive but has a rolling code method to increase security and reduce the risk of false triggering. There are others for as low as $29 for the entire set.
http://www.residential-openers.com/liungadooppl1.html
Smarty

I wouldn't spend a whole lot on new controls, especially if you have kids. All the new ones come with electric eyes to prevent the door from closing on someone or something as well as automatic reverse if the door hits something or someone.