JB Weld problem

Page 2 of 3

On Aug 3, 8:50pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

This came from a link returned by the search engine on the West Systems site when searching for "Shelf Life":
http://www.epoxyworks.com/22/fiberglass.html
"Shelf life of WEST SYSTEM epoxy is several years."
That certainly nails it down, doesn't it? ;-)
My only problem has been the pumps going bad when stored for too long. Once they go bad, you can't get the mix ratio right because they won't prime correctly and they just sputter and drip. If you toss them, you end up tossing some of the product too and the stuff ain't cheap.

I suggest you try uscomposites instead of west. West's stuff is ridiculously expensive. And neither are actually making epoxy, they're just repackaging it.
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 04:38:32 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc

JB Weld retails for about $7 an ounce, which works out to $896 per gallon. How does that compare with West?
LOL
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:
-snip-

If it is more than $21 then I'd be at a net loss for the past 30 years-
I did buy a couple gallons of West years ago when I built a couple Bolger boats. If I ever build that strip kayak I'll probably get some more. But in the meantime- JB weld works just fine.
Had to look it up- 1 gallon West +hardener= @$120 1 Gal US Composites epoxy +hardener- @$70 until I have a specific job, I think I'll get by with the tube of JB weld on my workbench.
Jim

Look at all that money you're wasting! Buy a gallon and it's less than $1/oz!! So you don't use it and have to pass it on to your great-great-great-great-great.... Nevermind. With all these toxic chemicals lying around waiting for someone to use them, I doubt life as we know it will exist that long.
nb

I use the uscomposites 2 to 1 epoxy. http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html It's slow enough to provide a good bond and the 2 to 1 ratio is easy to achieve for almost any size project. I'm not in a hurry. I buy it by the quart of resin. I also keep a few fillers on hand. http://www.uscomposites.com/fillers.html In some cases I just use sawdust or talc powder. This covers me for most requirements. A quart is $24 and lasts me a long time unless I use a lot for something on the boat.

I see that the prices for the USc products are cheaper than the West Systems on that site, but I'd need to factor in shipping to see if it still comes out cheaper than what I pay for West Systems at the local Boat Store.
I haven't seen the USc products on the shelf, but it might be worth looking around.
Thanks!

I think they only do mail order. I've never seen their stuff on a shelf at a local store. All I see at the boat store is west. I use enough of it that it's cheaper for me.
On Aug 4, 7:52am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

There's no argument that JB Weld is much more expensive than West Systems (or many others).
However, I'm not going to pull out my pumps, mixing cups, stir sticks, etc. to mix up a tiny glob of epoxy.
If I did, I'd have to factor in the cost of the waste since I couldn't reliably measure such a small amount like I can with the 1:1 ratio of JB Weld. Eyeballing a 5:1 ratio of 2 liquids is a little tougher than a 1:1 ratio of 2 pastes.
I guess I could look into West Systems G/flex, which has a 1:1 mix ratio, but my gut tells me that it's in the price range of JB Weld. Anybody know?

Oh yeah, one more argument for the use of JB Weld that hit me last night as I tossed my tool box in the van:
I usually have the baggie with the JB Weld and toothpicks in my tool box. I don't bring my "milk crate West Systems epoxy kit" with me unless I know I will need it.
On a recent job, I had my portable air compressor with me. The "handle" for the petcock on the tank fell off. I mixed up a minuscule amount of JB Weld - right then and there - spread it around the petcock and taped it in place.
I would have wasted a lot more time and product if I had waited until I got home and mixed up some West Systems. Heck, I probably would have lost the petcock handle by then. ;-)
Expensive, sure, but d*mn convenient.

Covenience is a factor that can't be ignored. I don't do any of this for a living, all my work is diy. So having to break out bigger containers isn't an issue for me.

re: "I don't do any of this for a living, all my work is diy"
Same for me, if by DIY you mean the kid's houses, the parent's houses, volunteer work and hobbies that require the work be done away from the primary residence.
That's why having some JB Weld in my toolbox makes more sense than hauling around my epoxy kit. I was 350 miles from home when I needed (OK, *wanted*) to fix my compressor. Trust me...I would have lost the part by the time I got home 4 days later. ;-)

re: "Now, if I could only find an equivelent to the old non-mixing filled epoxy by the brand name, Liquid Steel"
You mean something like:
http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/adhesives_sealants/specialty_adhesives/Permatex_Liquid_Metal_Filler.htm
or
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
or
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
OK...the last one might not be exactly what you are looking for. ;-)
On Aug 3, 9:05am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

re: "Epoxy that sets in 5 minutes..."
JB Weld does not set in 5 minutes. JB Kwik might, but not JB Weld.
JB Weld is 4 - 6 hours to set, 15 to full hard (more or less)
Granted, it's not as versatile as something like West Systems and all it's related fillers and stuff, but when I need just a dab of Epoxy, JB Weld is pretty handy.
I've got an old piece of stiff plastic (1/8" x 4" x ~2') leftover from some project that's dotted with dried up blobs of JB Weld with tooth picks sticking out of them. It's my favorite mixing board.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote: ...

ooh, Red Green is rolling in his yet-to-be-grave...

Paul, doesn't it matter that they add fillers or thickeners to the resin? Isn't the coating variety more free of these additives?
Thanks, bob
On Aug 2, 12:41am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

I bet its old, look for a date code and call JB it may be too old to cure right.

Old still cures fine. Just hard to work with.

If it's hard to get out of the tube, I can't think of any idea that would make it easier. Sorry, Bob-tx
On Aug 2, 12:41am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

I know old silicone never cures so call JB