Jammed garage door

I seldom pull the emergency release rope to open my double door by hand. One day I did and noticed it did not disengage when I thought it did. Another pull made certain.
MikeB wrote:

BTDT, very recently. Luckily, it happened as I closed the door leaving for work, and had 1 untrapped car. (Boy did I cuss when I got home that night, and all the opener did was make one end of door go up a couple of inches. WTF?) Fix was an emergency service call to local overhead door vendor. Within 24 hours, they did a temporary repair with a cable clamp reconnecting the broken ends of the spring, for about 20 bucks. I went ahead and had both springs replaced, for about $275, but I had to wait a week for an opening in their schedule, to get that done. If you call and say 'trapped cars', that bumps you to the top of the list for the temporary repair, at least for the people I used.
You theoretically could undo the spring on the other side and open the door, but I would advise against it. It is likely to make the eventual repair cost even more, and those are greasy nasty parts that will bite you. And without the counterweighting, those doors are heavy. Cabs, kind neighbors/coworkers/using up a couple vacation days till the repair guy can get there, are the painless solution.
-- aem sends...

I thought the same thing.
Me: "I'm calling in."
Boss: "Are you sick?"
Me: "No, I'm going fishing!"
MikeB wrote:

If you need your cars and the door's a goner anyway, it's time for a sledge hammer.

I'd call a garage company. Those springs have a terrifying ammount of energy. I'd sure not want to cut one of those loose. In some departments, I'm a quivvering coward, and this is one such.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hey, I replaced a broken spring and cable. It just needs proper tool and time. Can be done.

Having uneven tension from the torsion spring will cause it to jam. Best bet is to just call the garage door company. Ive replaced them but it is better a two person job when both people are experienced. I'd rather replace an outlet on a live circuit than work on a garage door.
Jimmie

Having uneven tension from the torsion spring will cause it to jam. Best bet is to just call the garage door company. Ive replaced them but it is better a two person job when both people are experienced. I'd rather replace an outlet on a live circuit than work on a garage door.
Jimmie
try putting the lifting pressure on the side where the spring is broken. That might possible unjam it as you're trying to lift it. Replacing the broken spring is a relatively simple job but you have to be very careful and you should replace them in pairs. If you're not handy, call a garage door installer and pay them.
Sanity wrote:

Hi, I was told to soak the springs with oil(like 10-30) to prolong the life.