James Hardie Fiber/Cement Siding: Opinion On ?

Hello,

Looking into siding replacement for my house which presently has T1-11. Live outside of Boston.

Anyone have any opinions, caveats, etc. regarding the James Hardie fiber/cement siding products ?

How does the cost compare to the typical wood horizontal clapboards ? Installation easier, trickier, etc. ?

One nice feature is that it can come pre-painted. Should save a few thousand there, not requiring a painting of the house. Am I missing anything here ?

Any thoughts and comments would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

depends on your taste, bob.

cons: fiber cement isn't exactly cheap (around 1.50 a square foot). you should buy a siding nailer if you are putting it on yourself--hand nailing requires pre drilling each hole.. installation is similar to cedar lap siding though it is always blind nailed. i personally don't like the blind nailing because ithe siding sort of flaps out, especially if there are imperfections in the wall below.. i also don't like the narrow profile--most of it is 5/16 thick. it can't be mitered easily--you must butt into corner boards. basically, except for runs of lap siding, trying to do anything with it and make it look halfway decent is tough (like porch beam wrap, soffits, etc.). i think the fake wood grain looks hokey, though that is just my opinion. dust from cutting it is toxic and will ruin your saw.

pros: supposedly, it will last forever, though you must prime cut ends. it comes pre-painted in more interesting colors than vinyl. will hold paint very well. no trees were cut to make it. definitely i would use it over vinyl.

IMHO you can't beat cedar siding for the way it looks. haven't priced it out lately, but i'm guessing it's around 2 bucks a square foot. yeah, i know, there is more maintenance, etc. but, if you like the way fiber cement looks, then go for it.

Reply to
marson