James Bonding my home

Hi,

I'm pretty handy and have also done some electrical work (installing track lights).

Now I want to install a video projector, but one that would hide inside my ceiling (there is space) and come out on demand. Here's what envision: I press a button on a remote control and these little doors slide open and a projector slides down. Now, I don't know how feasible it is or where to begin looking for parts. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Reply to
aaronfude

I would start on Google, but you can also go to your local high end audio/video shop which specializes in custom home theater. Even if you don't buy a unit from them, many times they have gizmo's like that. Maybe you can tell them what you want and at least get an idea if it's even possible.

Also, you should probably ask your question on these forums, if you can stand the color:

possibly the " Dedicated Theater Design & Construction " section

Reply to
Ted

see

for parts ideas or an outright purchase.

Mechanically simplest is the one that uses two front surface mirrors. Projector is fixed in place, pointing away from the screen. A mirror at an angle (??45??) directs projector light downwards. A small motor then lowers the second mirror on command (when the projector is turned on) so that the light has a clear path to the screen.

See

A fully programmable remote, and some relay interfaces on you AV equipment and you are good to go.

It may be cheaper to hide the projector behind the far wall, and cut a porthole, add a suitable frame and let the whole thing disappear ALL the time. The only reason for access is to change the lamp!!!

Be aware that most home projectors need a room that is very nearly as dark as a movie theater to be effective. Open skylights, open doors to the outside, uncovered windows, bare bulb lamps, etc, will WASH out the image

Reply to
Robert Gammon

Trouble with that is that the projector likely produces a LOT of heat, and you probably don't want it up inside the ceiling while it's on, unless you power-vent the box it's in.

Reply to
Goedjn

Yes the projectors run hot, they after all use 250W or greater lamps in them. Yes the box needs ventilation. The AV contractor I am working with says projectors run for years in boxes that have temps in the

90-100F range when operating.

The solution with the mirrors keeps it hidden and is mechanically simpler than most others. However the purchased solution on the web site is $2500.

So the cheapest solution is a projector stand that protrudes thru the ceiling. These go for $110-$250.

Lift and lower mounts are as expensive as the mirror solution and can run much higher in price.

Reply to
Robert Gammon

Reply to
Pat Barber