"J" & "P" Under Sink Drain Traps: Differences Between ?

Hello:
A bit confused over terminology on this, was wondering if anyone can clarify it for me.
Regarding the typical under sink bathroom drain traps:
I always thought these U-bend assemblies were called "J" Traps.
But I see that in some text they term them "P" Traps.
What are the differences between a J and a P Trap, then ?
Couldn't find any good pix of these two types; anyone know of any links showing differences, etc. ?
Thanks, Bob
Robert11 wrote:

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=Elbow%20trap
A thousand words is as good as a picture. ;)
Sometime between now & the time I learned my plumbing skills at my father's side they came up with all thiese extra BS names
Rico I found the same webspage but (at least for me) the links to the trap types appear broken or do not produce a picture.
cheers Bob
BobK207 wrote:

That's why I wrote a thousand words are as good as a picture and gave it a little smiley. The description should be sufficient for the OP.
Robert11 wrote:

We call them S & P traps in Australia.
P traps are shaped like a letter P and S traps are shaped like an S.
P traps drain sideways & S traps drains down.
from buffalo ny: don't get "trapped" by the letters, the common P trap has both removable nuts. other less common J trap has a captive nut [where the short side of the trap has its own nut that screws upward onto the threaded wall arm]. there are many varieties of traps in plumbing but mostly just replace the kitchen with 1-1/2" and the bathroom sink with 1-1/4" often found as a combination sized trap with extra insert adapter in the bag for the smaller sink size.
i agree with the lack of photos.