"J" & "P" Under Sink Drain Traps: Differences Between ?

Hello:

A bit confused over terminology on this, was wondering if anyone can clarify it for me.

Regarding the typical under sink bathroom drain traps:

I always thought these U-bend assemblies were called "J" Traps.

But I see that in some text they term them "P" Traps.

What are the differences between a J and a P Trap, then ?

Couldn't find any good pix of these two types; anyone know of any links showing differences, etc. ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

A thousand words is as good as a picture. ;)

RicodJour

Sometime between now & the time I learned my plumbing skills at my father's side they came up with all thiese extra BS names

Rico I found the same webspage but (at least for me) the links to the trap types appear broken or do not produce a picture.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

That's why I wrote a thousand words are as good as a picture and gave it a little smiley. The description should be sufficient for the OP.

RicodJour

We call them S & P traps in Australia.

P traps are shaped like a letter P and S traps are shaped like an S.

P traps drain sideways & S traps drains down.

Reply to
ben.aust

from buffalo ny: don't get "trapped" by the letters, the common P trap has both removable nuts. other less common J trap has a captive nut [where the short side of the trap has its own nut that screws upward onto the threaded wall arm]. there are many varieties of traps in plumbing but mostly just replace the kitchen with 1-1/2" and the bathroom sink with 1-1/4" often found as a combination sized trap with extra insert adapter in the bag for the smaller sink size.

i agree with the lack of photos.

Reply to
buffalobill