It's good to be king

Yesterday, I finished caulking toe plates in preparation for painting in a new addition. An amazing amount of air infiltration between toe plates and slab. So, I figured I'd get out the Graco XR7 just to make sure it was running. Not. SWMBO was in a very serious mode, as we have a couple of friends coming to help us paint. Not good. SCHEDULES MUST BE MAINTAINED, OR THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE.
Having all kinds of flashbacks on how to get it rebuilt over the holidays. Then, just started taking it apart. Piston was frozen in there due to old paint. I had cleaned it last time I used it, but apparently need to clean it more. I'm going to do it with warm water this time.
It is a remarkably simple system, and pretty self explanatory once you start digging in. I bet it would have cost $100 at a shop. I'm sure that I should have replaced O rings and such, but I fired it up, and it seemed not to have any leaks. I will send for a rebuild kit, replace the O rings, boil out the paint in the recesses, and put it back together again.
Being handy with tools and mechanical things really comes in handy some times.
Steve

Glad to hear SWMBO didn't waterboard you. For your next cleanup, when using latex paints, a sniff test may indicate that the paint has an ammoniacal base. If so, adding a bit of household ammonia to your warm cleaning solution will augment the cleaning action. I've heard (but haven;t tried) Floetrol in the cleanup helps. HTH
Joe

Glad to hear SWMBO didn't waterboard you. For your next cleanup, when using latex paints, a sniff test may indicate that the paint has an ammoniacal base. If so, adding a bit of household ammonia to your warm cleaning solution will augment the cleaning action. I've heard (but haven;t tried) Floetrol in the cleanup helps. HTH
Joe
Will try the ammonia tomorrow if we have any. Sprayed the Kilz 2 today, paint tomorrow. Floetrol would be spendy on cleaning out an airless. It is one heck of a product to add to paint, though, for doors and places where you want a smooooooth finish. Great stuff.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

The instructions are somewhat clear. Long term storage- use the lubricate suggested. It prevents sticking/freezing/stuck parts and what you now have to go through.
The XR9 went stainless piston (?).
More than once have sprayers failed for lack of cleaning and storage.

Sorry. I use the brand name Graco spendy stuff. That's why I was surprised to see how much gook was in there. The piston did look like SS. It is a remarkably simple piece of machinery. We sprayed about 15 gallons of Kilz today, and it looks great. Got the adjustment knob just right.
Steve
On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 16:21:33 -0800, "SteveB"

care of her:)!
She will perform as requested...
I'm vague on the SS, but the XR9 did improve on the sprayer.
I get to borrow one in the Spring:)

Airless have their places. There is so much overspray, you have to mask everything and have exhaust fans. But when the only thing in there is sheetrock and concrete, it's the time. You can do repaints, but you have to cover everything and mask. Awesome to make popcorn ceilings look like new. Awesome for block walls. Great in places, and too much work in others. Like anything, selecting the right tool for the job has a lot to do with the outcome.
When you do sheetrock, you have to have a couple of backrollers. People with 1" nap rollers to even out what you put on. Today, we got it just right, and there was very little sticking to the backrolls. If your backrollers get full of paint, you're putting it on too thick. Tomorrow, with the color coat, we may go a little heavier to avoid streaks.
When you do blockwall, just maintain a wet edge, and it comes out seamless. For the color coat on the addition, they're going to approximate the stucco color of the existing house. I'm not optomistic, but we'll see how close they come. In the next year, we will build our own stucco walls, courtyard walls, and when it's all done, we'll get some good stucco and masonry paint and shoot the whole thing the same color.
It's like spraying with a garden hose.
Steve
On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 18:58:33 -0800, "SteveB"

BTW!
The wall you saw on Decatur Blvd , Las Vegas (on your pics)
(..ever get an answer?)
I'm after that answer:} Foam vs Stucco stuff.

I'm sure it was someone thoroughly familiar with stucco. May have even been shotcrete. Stucco isn't rocket science, but that scene was the nicest I have ever seen anywhere.
Steve